We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pcc

Which Laie hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bethel, Connecticut
Level Contributor
95 posts
Save Topic
Pcc

Hello. Planning our visit for next month and despite analyzing the web site and reading all the TA

reviews, I still can' t decide on a dining package. Any further suggestions? Also, does anyone have tips for how to plan the day in order to "see and do it all". Plan to be there when it opens and spend the whole day but in what order should we approach things? Certain things not to be missed? Would appreciate a game plan. thanx

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
381 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pcc

I was as confused as you. The way I describe it is that it is like Polynesian Epcot Center. It is a bit fake looking, and it does get a bit corny, but overall it was an enjoyable visit for my wife and me (late 40s couple). The food however was slightly below average. We picked the Alii dinner package. I did not like the setup, but I did not see an alternative that would have made us happy. This is a tourist trap so the food can only be mediocre at best. The Ha Breath of Life was very good.

I would get there fairly early - as early as possible to see everything at a slow pace. It is a long day'.however.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,512 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pcc

PCC opens at 11:45. Plan to be there all day. I believe the exhibits close at 5:00.

polynesia.com/plan-your-day.html#.Ub4JtZzGDMA

The Prime Dining was pretty good, but don't go for the prime rib. It was minimal.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,824 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pcc

Are you asking for help choosing between the luau and the buffet? It's up to you. If you are staying for the evening show - I would opt for the buffet. Luau entertainment followed by the evening show seems like over-kill for me.

The buffet is quieter ... and it may be air-conditioned, I'm not sure.

People don't go to the PCC for the food. Mediocre at best.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
44,342 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pcc

I've been there at least 3 times, 2 in the last year. For you I would suggest the package with the Prime Dining. For me the prime rib was fine, I've had better and I've had worse, in restaurants mind you!! Plus there is a ton of other entrees to choose from. It is air conditioned. You will get a map and times of each show. They also do have a package that includes a guide if that interests you at all.

I've not thought of the Polynesian Cultural Center as a "tourist trap". I think of it as a way to learn about the different Polynesian Cultures and a bit of a way to help young people pay their college tuition.

Edited: 16 June 2013, 23:02
California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,824 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pcc

So glad to hear about the A/C! That was a major weakness of the old dining room.

Lubbock, TX
Level Contributor
725 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pcc

Here's a tip - there's a PCC ticket office in the Royal Hawaiian Shopping Center in Waikiki. Talk to the people there. They spent about 10 minutes with us explaining the layout and which villages and shows were the most "can't miss". Very helpful.

Basically there are 7 villages, each with crafts, exhibits, and a small show (plus Easter Island which has no show because it has no people). Add to that the Canoe Pageant (must see), an IMAX show, and it should be apparent that you can't see them all. We were told the shows not to miss were Samoa, Tahiti, New Zealand, and if time allowed, Hawaii and Tonga. If you try to study all the information on the crafts and cultural exhibits, you might not see more than 3 or 4 shows before you ran out of time.

We opted to skip the IMAX and looked only briefly at the cultural information, just enough to get a feel for the culture of each island group, and took in 5 of the shows plus the canoe pageant and a lazy canoe trip of our own. And that took a fair amount of strategy, since the shows are on pretty strict schedules.

Back to my opening advice - the guy manning the PCC kiosk at the Royal Hawaiian shopping center was extremely helpful in mapping out which shows and in which order.

Janesville...
Level Contributor
705 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pcc

It is confusing! I reviewed my confusion here, hope it helps a little:

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g60656-d1083…

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
26,502 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Pcc

Get the Admission/Evening Show package with the free buffet. The food is decent at the buffet.

You can upgrade seats for Ha: Breath of Life for about $15.

Best daytime:

Canoe pageant, Samoa Village, Tonga Village. Fit in any of the rest that you can.

IMAX was kind of an option each time I went (10-15 times), depending who we were with, how hot is was or if it was raining.

IMAX has A/C & it was nice to get out of the sun or rain for almost an hour. The film is nice.

Lubbock, TX
Level Contributor
725 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Pcc

Dusty - please tell me about upgrading seats for $15. I'm unable to find this on the PCC website. Mrs. Deubster & I have always done Ali'i Luau, but she wants Ambassador to sit closer next time (Sept.). I'm groaning at the cost, even though I can apply $50 from the Entertainment Book.

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
26,502 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Pcc

When you get to PCC, you can ask them about upgrading your seats.

It it is not too busy, you can maybe do it then.

If it is busy & most of the seats are filled, they may tell you to come back after 3pm.

The seats for the better packages may already be reserved & no chance for apgrading.

The Island Luau at Samoa Village is new to me. $20 less than the Ali'i Luau. $5 more than the Admission/Evening Show with the free buffet. Seats for the Island Luau are the same as the Ali'i Luau for the evening show.

http://www.polynesia.com/packages/index.html

Scroll to any of the packages you are interested in & click on: Details