We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report One Week in Laie

Which Laie hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Fanny Bay, Canada
Level Contributor
33 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report One Week in Laie

This was our second "longer stay" on Oahu, we usually get in a few days in Waikiki when island hopping but decided to get out of town and stay longer. Oahu is really a great deal flying from Vancouver - direct flights, a great variety of accommodation choices, cheap rental cars, lots of shopping, ease of transit. We picked Laie as we wanted to stay on/near the north shore. I found this cottage on vrbo 254680. The caretaker was a very nice lady to deal with and just lives a couple of houses down the road. This cottage in on the Kam Highway which is the main road and I was concerned about traffic noise however we did not notice any noise, the surf, waves and wind seems to muffle any traffic sound. There is a traffic light half a block away so we had no problems turning into or out of the property. It is an old cottage with some updating done, but still an old place and all the things that come with that but we were very comfortable there. This property is beachfront on Laie Bay by Hukilau Park.

The swimming was very safe, boogie boarding just a short walk down at the park, you can actually walk this beach for over an hour all the way to Kahuku Golf Course and perhaps beyond but we didn't have the shoes for scrambling on rocks at the time. We waded out to Mokuauia Island where you can walk the perimeter (stay on trails this is a bird sanctuary) or sit on the beach and enjoy the views back to the mountains. We could easily stay a month in this location, the Laie Shopping Centre is a short walk down the Kam Highway where there is a Foodland and shopping. There are kayak, board rentals all close by.

We were here in January during a period of very high surf so spent some time at Waimea Bay watching the huge waves come in, wandered through Haleiwa and had a shave ice, stopped at Sharks Cove and watched the swells come over the rocks. We did the Hau'ula Loop Trail, had the forest to ourselves, lovely views out over the water and the mountains to the east. Park at Hau'ula Beach Park and then walk the short distance up Hau'ula Homestead Road to get to the trailhead.

We went to the Byodo-In Temple on our way to the USS Arionza. Lovely spot to stop and wander for an hour or so. After spending a week on the North Shore heading to pick up our reservation at the USS Arizona was a shocker, so many people (tourists), traffic snarled everywhere and yikes it was hot there, we were happy to get back to our little town. We stopped for a Dole whip at the Pineapple Plantation on the way home and stood in a long line to get that whip but it was worth it.

The road side stands just outside of Kahuku had lovely banana bread, apple bananas, corn and tomatoes. Of course hit the shrimp trucks, Romy's was our favourite. We went to the farmer's market at the Waimea Valley Falls parking lot, absolutely outrageous prices on artisan breads, soaps, lotions, T-shirts, must be aimed at the upscale tourist cause I don't know anybody else who can afford $8 for a dozen eggs.

I had a long list of things to do and see and we just managed a few which was fine. Easy to spend the day at the cottage, going for a morning walk, head over to Foodland to pick up some seafood for the barbecue, the days just fly by. We would stay here again.

We rented a small (cheap) car through Alamo, $167.00 for the week, taxes included, and we only spent $30 on gas, tanking up just outside the airport when returning the car.

Milwaukie, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,950 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report One Week in Laie

What a sweet little cottage! Getting out of Waikiki and other resort areas gives a whole different perspective to Oahu, doesn't it? . We spent a week in Punaluu once and never crossed the Pali until time to return to the airport. Now you have me thinking about a return; it's been more years than I intended to let slip by.

Was the ocean fairly calm your entire visit, with easy entry and exit? I am not a strong swimmer. Hesitant to stay somewhere without a pool as I do like being in the water. Otherwise it is a great location for a good price.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
23,381 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report One Week in Laie

Sounds like a wonderful time, just relaxing and enjoying whatever you felt like doing at the time.

http://www.vrbo.com/254680

I am curious though, as the listing mentions that there is no phone. Did you use your own cell phone while there at all? We have just the "pay as you go" type from 7-11, so they would be of no use to us in Hawaii.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
43,460 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report One Week in Laie

Thanks so much for this report. Very few people stay in Laie it's nice to find out how someone likes it. It is a whole other world over there isn't it? My dh and I go up there to get out of the city.

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
15,815 posts
238 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report One Week in Laie

I thoroughly enjoyed your trip report, thank you. Nice tips about the hiking and cottage, too.

Fanny Bay, Canada
Level Contributor
33 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report One Week in Laie

Barbara - it is sand, sand and more sand and heading north beautiful long sand beach for an hour's walk. Easy entry in and out, deepens as you go out but no drop off. It was extremely rough when we were there, the distant off-shore islands would occasionally be completely swamped by a swell but it was safe to swim. This is quite a large bay if you look on the maps. Lots of families in swimming and boogie boarding, but it was not crowded at all, even on the weekends. We tried snorkling a little bit but just a sandy bottom so really not much to see. There were snorklers, surfers, outriggers, etc, way, way out but I would assume these were local people who know the conditions and their limits.

Joan - we take our cell phone with us and for $20 get an add on with our plan for long distance calling from US and/or texting. We also had a small tablet with us for skyping with family which is free via the WIFI. I don't think we even used our phone but if there was a family emergency back home you would end up with a large phone bill, so we get that add on for one month.

Milwaukie, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,950 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report One Week in Laie

Thanks, Butterfly. One of the things I liked about Punaluu is that an offshore reef breaks the waves and it is very calm by the beach. Quite a sand shelf, though, for getting my weak knees in and out of the water.

Your description sounds good...and the opportunity to see big surf action just down the road!

NORTH CAROLINA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
7,265 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report One Week in Laie

Thanks for sharing your little cottage looks very nice and looks like a nice stretch of beach too.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
3,783 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report One Week in Laie

looks absolutely blissful to me. Thanks for sharing :)

Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
25 posts
367 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report One Week in Laie

Your story was great and I will look up the trails in detail before going later in the year!

Thanks for sharing :-)

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
51,373 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Report One Week in Laie

I think it is important to point out that the original poster (OP) has been to Oahu before and spent time in Waikiki. If I was going to Oahu for the first time and wanted to see the typical tourist attractions I'd never stay in Laie. You stay on the the North Shore or in Laie to get away from the typical tourist sites, not see them.

Get answers to your questions about Laie