We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

PCC Circle Tour, Super Ambassador, Canoe Ride

Which Laie hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
12 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
PCC Circle Tour, Super Ambassador, Canoe Ride

Hi,

I'm trying to decide between the Ambassador and Super Ambassador Package, and also the bus tour. As far as the Super Ambassador package, is it better because the guide gives you something special that they don't give you in the small group tour, or do you get to move to your next destination more quickly? Is the addition of the booklet and CD souvenir so nice that I'll feel bad just getting the DVD like they give the Ambassadors? What about the canoe ride? Are they rowing, or am I rowing? Is it that special?

Lastly, we're planning to rent a car to circle the island ourselves, but I've heard that the drive can be really tiring at night. Is it that bad that it would be worth taking the bus?

Also, why does their Circle Island Tour costs $57, when the other companies seem to be cheaper?

Thanks for any advice!

9 replies to this topic
California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
42,207 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: PCC Circle Tour, Super Ambassador, Canoe Ride

You don't need a guide. Inside the park - you really don't need a tour. Both times I have had a guide as part of a package or group ... I saw most people (include ourselves) dismiss them. If you can read a simple map and speak English ... you don't need a guide. And you will feel guilty "ditching" them. :o)

If I wanted a DVD or booklet, I would get them at one of the many PCC gift shops. That way you can look before you buy.

I don't know about a canoe ride ...

<<Lastly, we're planning to rent a car to circle the island ourselves, but I've heard that the drive can be really tiring at night. Is it that bad that it would be worth taking the bus?>> These are two different things. Yes, I would rent a car for a day or two and "circle" the Island. I would not do a circle tour with the PCC.

IF you are staying for "Ha: Breath of Life" - the evening show - it is a long, hot day. SO - you can buy transportation from Waikiki to the PCC and back without the "Circle Tour." It's just a PCC bus that picks up everyone, hauls them to the PCC ... and takes you back "home" at night. This sounds like what you need. The ride is narrated, which is nice.

Keep in mind that the PCC - like everywhere else - wants to sell you stuff. Keep that in mind and make wise choices.

Edited: 18 July 2014, 23:12
Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
12 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: PCC Circle Tour, Super Ambassador, Canoe Ride

Thanks. We will probably get the Ambassador tour then, just to have the better seats. If we don't like the guide, we won't feel so bad walking away from the group--although, I might feel a bit bad as I'm a tour guide myself. ;)

Do you know how much the regular bus to PCC is? And do you have any suggestions for anything interesting to do in the morning before the bus comes?

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
12 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: PCC Circle Tour, Super Ambassador, Canoe Ride

I found this from 2011. Is it still accurate?

http://www.thebus.org/pop/attracti.asp

Approximate travel time is 1 hour 30 minutes.

Polynesian Cultural Center Link to Destination

55-370 Kamehameha Hwy, Laie

(808) 293-3333

Closed Sundays

Bus to Board:

55 Kaneohe-Circle Island

From Kuhio Avenue, Saratoga Road or Kalia Road heading away from Diamond Head, board 8, 19, 20, 23, 24, 42, or E CountryExpress! to the Ala Moana Shopping Center. Transfer to 55 Kaneohe-Circle Island and ride to the town of Laie on Kamehameha Hwy. Cross the highway to the Cultural Center.

Bus to Waikiki:

55 Honolulu-Ala Moana

Stand on Kamehameha Hwy fronting the cultural center and board 55 Honolulu-Ala Moana to Kona Street in the Ala Moana Center. Transfer to 8, 19 or 20 Waikiki Beach and Hotels. The 8, 19, 20, 23, 24, 42, and E CountryExpress! operate frequently. The 55 operates every half hour with limited evening service. The last two buses from the Polynesian Cultural Center to Honolulu are 9:28 p.m. and 10:23 p.m. daily.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
42,207 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: PCC Circle Tour, Super Ambassador, Canoe Ride

OK - I may have confused you. There is a PCC bus that has the circle tour as part of a package. There is a PCC bus that simply picks up folks at a pre-determined spot on Waikiki ... and then deposits them back at the end of the evening. I would not take the public bus to the PCC.

When you are in the process of making your reservation, and get past the seating for the show, the next screen is for transportation.

++ Motor Coach (standard transportation – round trip)+$22.00 per person; Pickup at a designated location nearby your Waikiki hotel")

Ride in a luxurious top-of-the-line Mercedes motor coach"); Narrated by one of our friendly, local guides")

++ Mini Coach (curbside pickup – round trip)+$30.00 per person; pickup right from the lobby of your Waikiki hotel; A more intimate experience aboard our comfortable mini coach; Narrated by one of our friendly, local guides

I hope this helps.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
12 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: PCC Circle Tour, Super Ambassador, Canoe Ride

When I was in the process of buying tickets for the Super Ambassador tour this morning, there were no options given for transportation except a $57 Circle Tour. I didn't complete the order because of it. Maybe the Super Ambassadors get a limo?

Why wouldn't you advise taking a public bus to PCC? $2.50 sounds like a good deal after spending so much money on the other stuff.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
42,207 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: PCC Circle Tour, Super Ambassador, Canoe Ride

<<When I was in the process of buying tickets for the Super Ambassador tour this morning, there were no options given for transportation except a $57 Circle Tour. I didn't complete the order because of it. Maybe the Super Ambassadors get a limo?>> All the names they give these things are wacky. The PCC website has never been particularly user-friendly - but the transportation options did work for me. You may need to give them a call.

The public bus will take forever to get to the PCC. Lots of stops. Not always a seat. Not narrated. And take care to see how late they run at night. The public bus is mentioned on the PCC website when they give the transportation options. I still would not take it for such a long stretch.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
12 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: PCC Circle Tour, Super Ambassador, Canoe Ride

Yeah, the website could be better... Maybe I will call them just to clear things up. Your advice against the public bus makes sense. Thanks.

SoCal
Level Contributor
5,627 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: PCC Circle Tour, Super Ambassador, Canoe Ride

Maybe try again because the transportation options are the last items to select when making a reservation. The other way to do it is the customize your own package and you add the components you want. I would point out that if you pay for transportation, adding the circle island tour is only $35 more so maybe it is worth it.

We did the Ambassador package last time. The main difference I noticed was the Super Ambassador people had reserved seats at each village presentation front and center, this included the canoe pageant. This is a nice bonus because we were usually in the back at the presentations as we would arrive right at starting or just after. Super A seats at Ha were in the front and center (I was able to select 4th row center). They did have a private guide so they can tailor the day to you individually. I have been to the park before without a guide and we were fine. I don't think you need a guide but it was nice. I would prefer a private guide if $ is not an issue so that we can go where my group wants to go. Either way, be there at opening if you want to see it all.

The canoe most people do is large and they paddle for you. There are smaller canoes where you help paddle.

We have always driven ourselves however it is a long day and there is the possibility of being tired, especially with the time change you have to deal with. My time change is smaller and I had already been in HI for over a week when we went to the PCC last time and I was fine with the drive.

Edited: 19 July 2014, 14:36
Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
12 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: PCC Circle Tour, Super Ambassador, Canoe Ride

Thanks for the details on the canoe ride and the difference between the group guide and private guide. I'm still having some difficulty with the site in terms of transportation options, so I think I'll just call and do the reservation that way.

Reply to: PCC Circle Tour, Super Ambassador, Canoe Ride
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted