We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pililaau Army Recreation Center

Locust Grove, VA
Level Contributor
8 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Pililaau Army Recreation Center

OK, I've read many comments on PARC on this board, and I want to give it an honest review to help people out, so I'm going to be posting reviews about our stay here for the next week. We arrived here on Tuesay Nov. 13, 2007. There are 9 people in our party, and we have two cabins, 22 and 27. I'm happy with our accomodations. The cabins are clean and well kept and the staff here, from the front desk to Security to Maintenance, are just a great bunch of people.

First, the cabins. They are simple and no-frills. We have a two bedroom cabin, which has a double bed in one room, and two singles in the other. Kitchen has standard appliances, including microwave and coffee maker (first negative, you have to hold the carafe while it's brewing, or the coffe won't fill the carafe). The shower is a bit small, but adequate. Negative number 2: bugs. We have small ants entering from the baseboard and we've killed two red ants and a roach. To their credit, the staff has given us a spray that will kill pests for 3 months, but I haven't used it anywhere besides the baseboard where the ants were coming in. One of the guards told us to inform the desk about the red ants, so we'll see what happens there.

As far as cabin security, they are very well lit at night. The cabins are up off the ground, so you can see under them. Lights have been installed under the cabins so that you can see under them in the dark as well. There are also motion sensors in some places so that dark areas become lit as soon as you walk into them.

Big plus: Our two year old was still on East Coast Time yesterday, so he was up at 3AM. We ended up taking a walk at 4, and when we got down near the showers, we saw one of the Security Guards coming towards us on a golf cart. He stopped and said "I saw you in the camera, so I thought I'd bring you a paper". For everyone who's concerned about safety here, don't fret. You can't get in without an ID and a car pass, and the place is well guarded. they have at least two guards on patrol at all times. We have also gone out to some of the convenience stores locally, and don't have any worries there. Locals have been nice.

The PARC is also green! By that I mean they have solar panels installed on the cabins for hot water heating. There are also lights along the path by the beach that stay lit most of the night.

So far we are very happy here. More to come later.

indiana
Level Contributor
483 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pililaau Army Recreation Center

Thank You for the information. This makes me feel much better. If you do anything that we much go and do let me know, I've never been to Hawaii.

Locust Grove, VA
Level Contributor
8 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pililaau Army Recreation Center

PILILAAU REVIEW AND VACATION BLOG CONTINUED:

First, hi to jendog. I read your post, asking about the area, and that's one of the reasons I'm posting this review. so that people are well informed about the facility. BTW, I thought you were here in October. Did you reschedule, or did I have the wrong year?

We spoke to the front desk about the red ants and they came out with an organic spray and went over the entire cabin. We've still seen one or two, but it wasn't bad before and it's even better. Keep in mind, these are beach cabins. I was expecting a few visitors so I'm not really surprised.

Still having a great time here! Feeling VERY safe. We've been out to several stores in the local area, and everyone's been real nice.

Haven't been to the Beach Club for dinner yet. Maybe tonight?

Tip: If you feel like you need to have water shoes, stop at a K-Mart in Honolulu, and get them. NONE of the stores out here have them.

Don't really need them at Pokai. Nice sandy beach!

Tip: Go to Hannara's for breakfast. Good food. Good people.

Tip: The surf right in front of the cabins has great waves for a reason. There is a reef out there with lots or coral, sea urchins and a dangerous shore break, which means waves break right on the beach, with a strong undertow. Go left, down near the Beach Club, or further down to Pokai Beach (which is absolutely deserted during the week!) and you'll enjoy a protected beach with light waves. We took the family down there, and everyone had a great time. This is Saturday, our second light day, and we're going there again.

Someone also recommended Ko Olina. It's 4 man-made lagoons in Honolulu, that are supposedly great for small children. AND we're going to check out Makaha Beach, which is a little further up the coast.

TRAFFIC! Honolulu traffic is pretty bad! I'm from Norther VA, where traffic is bad, so I'm used to it. If you're going into Honolulu in the evening, it's not too bad, since you're going against traffic, but give yourself extra time. We went on the Navatek I cruise the other night and we allowed an extra hour to get there, we arrived an hour early, but it still took us 45 mins to get to Aloha Tower Marketplace, where the boat is moored (Pier 6). A little about Navatek I. Great boat! Loved the boat, and for us, with discount tickets from ITR, it was worth it. They'll tell you once you get on that they have seats available near the window for $5 more per person. We did it and enjoyed the view. The menu is limited, but the food is good. Buffet line is a bit crowded. Show is a bit cheesy. Rockwell, the guitarist is the best part. Our two year old went up while they had audience members dancing to Cha-Cha Slide, and stole the show!

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
124 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pililaau Army Recreation Center

Hey Busydad-enjoyed your info-glad you are enjoing it-we booked there 3 years ago when we first moved here and we were not impressed, actually left for home w/o even sleeping there, glad to see it has improved, were a no frills bunch ourselves, Bellows is hands down favorite but super hard to book! May have to give Parc another shot after your review, aloha -enjoy rest of trip!

Locust Grove, VA
Level Contributor
8 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pililaau Army Recreation Center

OK, so it appears I've been using this wrong. Didn't know there was a difference between forums and reviews. That said, I'll also be posting this entire thread (my comments anyway) in the reviews.

Dallascat70, hope you'll give the place another try. It's not perfect, but not horrible either. We've had a great time here. I won't come

back to Hawaii without staying in Waianae.

The hot water in our shower doesn't seem to last very long, but the water in my father-in-law's cabin seems to stay hot for a long time.

Don't know if it's because they don't have an adequate backup to the solar panels or not.

Tried the Beach Club last night. There weren't many people there, but the band was good. They set out a small buffet (it was either cubed prime rib, or london broil, couldn't tell) which was delicious.

Wife and I had a good time. The unfortunate part of the evening came when my sister-in-law had one too many and set off on her own for her cabin. She went the wrong way and headed toward Pokai Bay beach. When she got to the end of the installation, some local guy on the beach stopped her and said "You are lost. You don't want to be going this way." After that he engaged her in conversation until I showed up to take her home. So much for mean locals. We walked out to Waianae Store from the beach North of the installation without any fear or trouble.

indiana
Level Contributor
483 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pililaau Army Recreation Center

Thank you for the great information!! You have put my mind at ease.

Locust Grove, VA
Level Contributor
8 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pililaau Army Recreation Center

My pleasure jendog. Keep us posted when you take your trip.

BTW, I forgot to mention that we purchased Oahu Revealed before we came here. It's blatantly honest about restaurants and attractions. There's a section specifically about Waianae's reputation. Apparently it's from the 70's and things have changed alot here. Violent crimes against tourists specifically are down significantly. Most everyone I've run into has just given me a nod or hello. However, I should mention we did not venture into town at night much, just to be safe. The first night we went to 7-11 to get some necessities. Bought some Portugese sweet bread, which we've loved for a long time. Delicious!

I have several reviews to post when I get home, but since this is about PARC, I'm trying to keep my information here specific to this venue and our experiences in this area.

Today, we're going to go up the coast a bit in the morning and then head for Ko Olina lagoons. Tomorrow's our last day here. It's been a great vacation, and if I get the chance to come here again, I'm definitely staying in Waianae (hope I haven't said that already... don't want to be redundant!). Wife says the same thing. Kids have loved it.

Oh! I forgot to mention... Our 20 year old (yes, I have a 20 year old AND a two year old. Can't figure out what's causing that!) struck out on his own the other day and went all the way around to the northern point at Pokai Bay, taking some great photos along the way. I mention this only to bring up the safety point again. He was walking around for over an hour by himself, OFF OF PARC PROPERTY, and came back unharmed. I didn't even know he'd gone anywhere. He really enjoyed his walk, and I hope to get over that way myself. I'm just really trying to stress that it's not as dangerous here as people think. Again, you WILL see many homeless people camped on beaches before you get here, but there are NONE on Pokai Bay Beach whatsoever. This may be my last post before we go home. Lots of packing to do tomorrow morning. Best to all! Aloha!

Locust Grove, VA
Level Contributor
8 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pililaau Army Recreation Center

Forgot one last tip. Apparently the cabins closer to Pokai are unofficially known as the "family cabins". They have this moniker so that families can stay there and have a short walk to Pokai. If you have children I recommend specifically asking if the family cabins (I'll have cabin numbers later) are available. It will save you lots of walking!

Locust Grove, VA
Level Contributor
8 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pililaau Army Recreation Center

Glad I started posting here! I posted a review and received an email stating that is doesn't meet the listing criteria and therefore won't be published.

Idaho
Level Contributor
547 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Pililaau Army Recreation Center

Busydad-

Just booked for PARC for next year. Do you have any pics of the cabins you would like to share? Also, the website says it is about 18 miles from Schofield Barracks, was wondering if you made the trip over there.

Locust Grove, VA
Level Contributor
8 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Pililaau Army Recreation Center

yes, we went to Schofield to get all our discount tickets. If you go to the PARC website, there's a price list of all the discounts for military personnel.

I have some pics in my review. I'm trying to get more from my son's myspace page. I'll post them when I do.

Get answers to your questions about Waianae