We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Waianae- short term housing/long term vacation

Boston, MA
1 post
Save Topic
Waianae- short term housing/long term vacation

We are spending July and August on O'ahu. We typically spend our summers camping, moving to a new camping area every week or so and have explored some amazing areas around the world. Camping on O'ahu seems difficult and possibly not safe for a two-mom, caucasian tourist family with 5 kids. So, we looked at short term furnished apts and Waianae seems to fit the bill perfectly. However, I keep hearing about crime and drug ridden areas. We are comfortable with low income areas, we don't need restaurants but we are not comfortable with violence.

We'll be there long enough that I hope that we can become friendly with neighbors (or at least the kids can find a few friends in the neighborhood). I'd love to be close enough to the beach the kids can walk there themselves (not swim, don't wory!). We'll still want to explore the other coasts and all they have to offer, will the drives be terribly long?

What is it like on Farrington Hwy south of valley road? In the past planning wasn't so stressful. If an area was awful, we just knew we'd be moving on in another week. Thanks!

9 replies to this topic
Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
42,965 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Waianae- short term housing/long term vacation

As wonderful as this area can be at times, I wouldn't let my own family stay there. More out of respect for the people who live on this side of the island. Speaking in generalities, they would rather tourists stick to the more "touristy" side of the island. That is not to say there aren't wonderful families that live there. They are the hard working poor. You will definitely feel out of place and I wouldn't let my kids go to any of the beaches by themselves.

Traffic in and out of there can be very heavy. It could take you an hour and a half just to get into the Honolulu area in the early morning and late afternoon hours. Sorry, not familiar with Valley Rd.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
128 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Waianae- short term housing/long term vacation

waiannae has a horrible reputation. I wouldn't go there, let alone stay there. My brother in law was on Oahu for business driving around and went over that way. Someone from oahu told him he should never went into that area.

Frisco, Texas
Level Contributor
1,594 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Waianae- short term housing/long term vacation

If you're haole, stay away from Waianae. Particularly 2 haole women and kids.

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
25,936 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Waianae- short term housing/long term vacation

I also would not stay in the Waianae area for two months.

It is an hour away from most attractions.

Almost all of the beach parking areas have broken glass indicating a lot of car break-ins.

Honolulu, Hawaii...
Level Contributor
45 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Waianae- short term housing/long term vacation

A little past Waianae is Makaha (maybe 30 minutes). Makaha has several vacation rentals--some right on the beach. The best beach on the island is a little farther past Makaha.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
42,965 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Waianae- short term housing/long term vacation

Makaha is part of the Waianae Coast. Gorgeous beach, you bet. Good for a day in the sun? No problem. Staying there for a month? no way. All the above still applies.

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
21,399 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Waianae- short term housing/long term vacation

Aloha,

I would check out the windward side of Oahu.

Maybe Punaluu, Kailua or Waimanalo.

Good luck

Aloha

Angleton, Texas
Level Contributor
1,281 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Waianae- short term housing/long term vacation

We've driven out to the west end several times, each one of them with no problem. The people we ran into like at the stop and go, parks were friendly and either said aloha or hello. We drove friendly and never saw a stink eye at us. I don't think that vibe would have lasted a week much less 2 months. I'm not sure I'd be out past dark in that area for sure.

Tennessee
Level Contributor
2 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Waianae- short term housing/long term vacation

You are already on your vacation by now, and I'm sure you took the advice given to avoid Waianae/Makaha, and that's too bad. We are currently half way through our ten-day stay at the Hawaiian Princess in Makaha, and it's gorgeous! The beach is one of the best I've ever seen, and I grew up on Cape Cod, MA. The people are friendly, and we've had no problems, nor have we been treated like outsiders. True, there is little to do, and few restaurants to visit other than fast food joints, but that has not slowed us down a bit.

Note that everyone who has replied mentioned the crime, etc., but I didn't see anyone say they were personally assaulted or bothered. Having said that, common sense should rule. If you're roaming around outside a local bar at closing time showing off your new Rolexc, sure, you may run into problems. Otherwise, use your head and enjoy the area. Makaha valley is stunningly beautiful! The family in the condo next to us consists of a single mom with three young children, and they seem to be having a ball.

Whatever you decided to do, I hope you are enjoying your time in paradise!

Bill

Memphis, Tennessee

Reply to: Waianae- short term housing/long term vacation
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Waianae