We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

beach house rental at waimanalo beach need feedback!

kansas
Level Contributor
23 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
beach house rental at waimanalo beach need feedback!

We booked a large beach house rental for a week in February and it looks and sounds great but we are nervous because we can't find any reviews about this property or area. Has anyone stayed here or around this area and can give us a feel for it? We are supposed to be only one house from the beach. The web address is BeachHouseHawaii.com

Thanks for any info! Azul_waters

1. Re: beach house rental at waimanalo beach need feedback!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 December 2005, 00:00
Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
10,237 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: beach house rental at waimanalo beach need feedback!

Azul...

Judging from the description of the property and photos from the website, it appears the house is in the 41-4XX block of Kalanianaole Highway, in a little neighborhood at the extreme southerly edge of Waimanalo. It has a specific name (like all places in Hawaii), but I seem to have forgotten it in my old age.

You can get a good aerial shot of the niehgborhood using the link below, it is an infrared picture off the City and County of Honolulu website.

gis.hicentral.com/website/ecodev/ed.asp?

And then in the box labled TMK type: 41001003 then hit "search"

When the map comes up, check the little box below it for "Color Infrared (Oahu)" then hit "display" and a photo comes up...you can zoom in or our using the little buttons below the shot.

It is along the highway, there is a slight uphill rise there, with the cliffs of the Koolaus right behind. These are the closest private homes to Sea Life Park and Makapuu Beach/Bay/Point.

There are a lot of nice restored older and some large newer houses in the neighborhood. Most local folks know it as where the Elks (or Masons?) have their beachfront luau grounds, and where the cops always seem to have speed traps (even I got a ticket there about 25 years ago).

There are maybe a dozen homes on the shoreline. In this area the beach is a rather narrow strand, the near off-shore water generally shallow with scattered coral formations over a mixed sandy and rocky bottom. It is great for relaxed family/private use but does not have as good of recreational potentials as at Waimanalo Bay and Bellows (military) beach parks.

There are no supporting services in the immediate area, and you would have to drive several miles back through Waimanalo to find stores and places to eat...all very local oriented. Waikiki and Honolulu are about 25 to 40 minutes away (depending on traffic), and closest if you drive south around Makapuu Point towards Hawaii Kai. There isn't ANYTHING to do in the area at night.

It is one of the most rural areas in the southeasterly part of the island. Make sure to stock up on necessities at Costco and the other major stores in Hawaii Kai before heading out.

The location is breathtakingly beautiful and there is good snorkeling in the area if you just explore a little bit. There may be some road noise from the Highway, but it is not very busy in this area at night.

Have you asked whether it is a legal, in-compliance rental home? Make sure to find out where in the house the certificate is displayed, as required by law.

kansas
Level Contributor
23 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: beach house rental at waimanalo beach need feedback!

Thank you both for your prompt replies to my post. I will be calling the rental first thing after the holiday to inquire if it is legal and has the documentation posted in the home. We sure do not want to disrupt a neighborhood and would not appreciate it in our neck of the woods either. Thank you both again! Love this forum!

St. Louis
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: beach house rental at waimanalo beach need feedback!

We stayed at one of the houses owned by the same company in June and are planning to stay in another in February. The houses are nice and have everything you could possibly need for your vacation. Waimanalo Beach is wonderful. Very local and not crowded. Some days it felt like our own private beach.There are 2 little grocery stores in town and Hawaii Kai is about 15-20 minutes toward Waikiki or Lanikai is 10 - 15 minutes the other way. Both of those have bigger grocery stores for the big shopping trip but if you run out of something you won't have a problem finding it in Waimanalo. Try to find Lanikai beach, it's worth it. Go to Hanamau Bay and snorkel. Eat at Keneke's around the corner. If you're looking for a laid back vacation I could'nt think of a better place.

kansas
Level Contributor
23 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: beach house rental at waimanalo beach need feedback!

Thank you so much for that comforting post about the house we are staying in for our upcoming vacation. We are taking our teenage son, my adult brother and my parents with us and wanted to spread out and relax as well as be able to prepare some of our own meals. It is good to know the house will be well stocked! Thank you again! Azul_waters

Wilmington, Delaware
Level Contributor
58 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: beach house rental at waimanalo beach need feedback!

We stayed in one of the homes owned by Anna and Kini in April 2005. The house was fabulous and very well appointed. Waimanalo Beach is beautiful and it felt like it was our own private beach. We didn't have the best weather, but it was a great time none the less. Waimanalo is on the windward side of the island and gets lots of rain and wind. The area is a little seedy - it was the first I had been back to Oahu since 1989 and the economy is horrible. Many little rundown shacks and shanties are all around the area. We had no problems with theft, but they do warn you about leaving things in your car. Several of the little beach parks around the island definitely have people living in vehicles in their parking lots.

We would stay there again. The rates are reasonable and the accomodations provided are well above average. We even had unexpected maid service midweek. Also, we would never stay in Waikiki again. The crowds are unbelievable. 2:00am and the streets are as packed as Manhattan midafternoon. Waimanalo is a good place to stage from since it is not far away and easy travel to anyplace on the island. You are right around the point from Hanauma Bay, Sealife Park and Blowhole. Hawaii-kai is nearby and a has lots of shopping - even a Costco. Kailua is just a short trip up the road and is a typical beach town with lots to see and do. It's a short ride to Pali, the PunchBowl and Diamond Head. Enjoy!

Vancouver, BC...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: beach house rental at waimanalo beach need feedback!

We are looking at renting one of the homes that you are talking about in March. Did they confirm that they are legal? We're trying to decide between that and staying in Honolulu.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,569 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: beach house rental at waimanalo beach need feedback!

This question is more for people who grew up on Oahu or have lived there a long time, but is Waimanalo safe for tourists? I only lived on Oahu a year but during that time is when the Manuel Kupahu case was at trial. I realize that it's not full of locals looking to pick fights, but I just avoided Waimanalo after hearing about it.

honolulu
Level Contributor
348 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: beach house rental at waimanalo beach need feedback!

Desiree, my understanding is that there is onhly onelegal rental in Waimanalo, but unfortunately I don't know which one it is. The owner should be able to give you proof that it's been licensed since 1989. (Many owners will try to give you an excise tax number, but that's not proof. Anyone can get one of those for any purpose, and it's then used for all business activities.)

In 1989, the last time vacation rentals were grandfathered in, there wasn't a rental market in Waimanalo. It was a rough & rural area.

Vacation rentals are good for the owners but destructive to the neighborhood & raise property taxes for those simply living in their houses, which is a big problem all over the island but especially in low-income areas like Waimanalo. Largely because of the potential vacation rental income, you can't buy a house there right now for less than about $850,000 - simply out of reach for most Waimanalo residents.

Midwest, depending on who you are, it might be a perfectly safe area. People out there have a lot of aloha, so if you're an older person or kid, fine. And in the daytime, fine for everyone. But some people out there also have a lot of resentment, so if you're a 20s-40s Caucasian, especially male, I wouldn't recommend walking around a lot at night. People also party heavily out there, so you might be dealing with someone who's had enough drink to be impaired in their judgment.

To the poster who decried the crowds of Waikiki and instead moved into a residential neighborhood: please be aware that when tourists go into neighborhoods, by definition that neighborhood becomes touristy and crowds follow. If Waikiki is not for you, please stick to legal rentals & respect Hawaii's zoning laws.

Level Contributor
382 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: beach house rental at waimanalo beach need feedback!

I agree with C.Ford regarding staying in legal accommodations and the safety issue of Waimanalo for certain demographics. There is a tremendous amount of resentment from locals toward the investors who converted the residential homes in Waimanalo into mini hotels. Economically, the average family income for Waimanalo is the lowest on the Windward side. I also recommend being careful at night and walking in secluded areas such as the beach, parks and interior Waimanalo. I also always leave my doors unlocked and my windows down when I park in Waimanalo (replacing windows and locks is expensive).