We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much does it cost to travel around South America?

London, United...
7 posts
Save Topic
How much does it cost to travel around South America?

I'm considering traveling around S. America for around 6 months to a year and wondered how much it would roughly cost. I would be back packing and am not expecting to sleep anywhere fancy or travel in luxery but I would like to hit some major cities for nights out as well as traveling to more remote places. Also if anyone knows the anyway to pick up casual work there to earn whilst I'm traveling that would be much appreciated. I don't speak much Spanish at the moment but fully intend on learning.

London
Level Contributor
5 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How much does it cost to travel around South America?

I would budget around 1000# per month.

You'll have to stick to a budget...public transportation, rarely eating out (except local food), rarely-- very rarely-- doing organized tours or adventure activities, staying in hostels.

Wait until you get there to choose a language course. The cheap ones (that are often just as good) won't be online. I've done language courses that included 2 meals a day and accomodation for 100 usd a week in Central America.

For a job, you'll most likely need basic Spanish skills first. And don't expect to do anything except break even-- you'll either be paid very little but still have to pay for lodging and food, or you won't get paid and will recieve free lodging and food. Ask around with other long-term backpackers when you get there. Your options will probably be working at a hostel, working on a farm, working at a restaurant in a gringo-town. If you're fit and outdoorsy, check out quetzaltrekkers for work.

I hope that helps! Have fun!

2. Re: How much does it cost to travel around South America?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 October 2009, 11:17
Get answers to your questions about American Samoa