We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can't miss restaurants in BH

Washington D.C.
Level Contributor
86 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Can't miss restaurants in BH

DH and I are spending 3 days/nights in BH at the end of June, any recommendations for can't miss restaurants? We'd like at least 1 restaurant that is more upscale.

Bass Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
244 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Can't miss restaurants in BH

Havana (upscale). Blueberry pancakes at Jordan's Restaurant. The Jordan Pond House - popovers, great views, lobster stew. Be sure to sit in the dining room if you would like wine, etc. Venture over to the 'quietside' of Mount Desert to Thurston's Lobster Pound on Bass Harbor in Bernard (Tremont). Lots of options in June and planning is such fun.

Virginia
Level Contributor
291 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can't miss restaurants in BH

I can't attest to any of the upscale restaurants in BH (although I have read there are some excellent ones) but I can give you some recommendations for some 'middle-tier' restaurants:

Galyn's -- Very good food at a reasonable price. Around $15-17 an entree. I see you are in DC, if you have eaten at any of the 'Great American Restaurants' in the area (i.e. Carlisle Grand Cafe, Artie's, Sweet Water Tavern), Galyn's food is comparable IMO but the restaurant is on a smaller scale.

Testa's-- The food was good but a little pricey. I think its a little overrated but maybe its just me.

Poor Boys Gourmet -- When you just want good food without any bells and whistles, this is the place. This place is popular so make a reservation.

Trenton Bridge Lobster -- If you want to get your hands a little dirty and "work" for your lobster, this place is worth the drive.

Rosalie's Pizza -- When you just feel like having pizza, Rosalie's pizza is delicious.

I seem to remember some older threads about BH restaurants....

Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor, Acadia National Park
Level Contributor
3,886 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can't miss restaurants in BH

Red Sky in Southwest Harbor, Mache Bistro in BH. The two restaurants perhaps considered by most to be "upscale" would be The Rose Garden and MIchele's Fine Dining Bistro.

Mid Coast Maine...
Level Contributor
812 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can't miss restaurants in BH

I can second the recommendation for Havana, although I wouldn't call it "upscale"....not a linen table type of cloth atmosphere. More on the fun side. The food is fabulous! They take local ingedients and prepare them with a Cuban twist. I had the most amazing scallops there.

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
194 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can't miss restaurants in BH

For upscale dining in BH, I would suggest the Rose Garden (located at the Bluenose Inn) & Reading Room (located at the Bar Harbor Inn). Another restaurant you might want to try is my favorite, McKay's Public House.

Lehigh Valley, PA
Level Contributor
945 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Can't miss restaurants in BH

For a great breakfast, try Jeannie's on Cottage St.

I can attest to Mache Bistro in Bar Harbor and Red Sky in Southwest Harbor. Both are excellent. I love the seafood stew at Mache.

I'd consider Burning Tree upscale but I was not impressed.

You've got to try the lobster crepes at Maggie's in Bar Harbor.

If you are willing to experiment a bit and like vegetarian fare, consider Eden also in Bar Harbor.

Enjoy.

7. Re: Can't miss restaurants in BH

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 August 2009, 23:19