We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiking trails with kids, 3mi max

New Jersey
Level Contributor
38 posts
164 reviews
Save Topic
Hiking trails with kids, 3mi max

We are visiting Acadia with a 4 & 5-year-old. We hike up to 3 mi with them at home. We visited Acadia last year & the hikes/walks we did with kids were the Beech Mountain Loop, the trail around Jordan Pond, Winderland, and Ship Harbor. This year we plan on walking the Ocean Path and walking to Bar Island at low tide. I'm looking for suggestions for hiking trails with some elevation so we have a view of nice scenery (similar to Beech Mtn Loop because I know that's doable with my kids). TIA

Mentioned in this post
Acadia National Park
Acadia National Park
Mount Desert Island, ME
Jordan Pond
Jordan Pond
996 Reviews
Mount Desert Island, ME
6 replies to this topic
Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
7,171 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hiking trails with kids, 3mi max

The hiking trails on Dorr Mountain are nice. They are accessed from Sieur du Monts. There is also a trail in Great Meadow, adjacent to Sieur du Monts, which is great for seeing birds.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
50 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hiking trails with kids, 3mi max

I'm in the trip planning phase, so no insider information from me. But, I have been using the following site in planning hiking options and it has been really helpful. It has suggested hikes, gives detailed trail info and includes many pictures along the trail.

www.citrusmilo.com/acadiaguide/recommend.cfm

Wash D.C.
Level Contributor
232 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Hiking trails with kids, 3mi max

Yeah, that's a great site. I still use it even though I've been coming back to MDI for 25+ years!

Flying Mountain is great for kiddos, not that long of a climb and Valley Cove is a nice stop on the way back. A trail I did for the first time this year was the Champlain North Ridge Trail, it doesn't get much attention but it was a great up and down hike, similar in terrain to Beach, but with great views along the way (higher you go, better it gets!). There's the Bubbles as well (kids love the rock). But in reality, most of the trails within Acadia fit your description (or can be adjusted to the 3 mi limit).

Mentioned in this post
Acadia National Park
Acadia National Park
Mount Desert Island, ME
New Jersey
Level Contributor
38 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hiking trails with kids, 3mi max

Great, thanks everyone 👍🏽

Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
217 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hiking trails with kids, 3mi max

Take a look at this site - it lists trails Easy, Moderate, Hard as well as distance and elevation.

https://www.alltrails.com/us/maine/bar-harbor

Level Contributor
1 post
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hiking trails with kids, 3mi max

Gorham Mt. to Sand Beach. Take the free bus back to Thunder Hole and then walk on the shore path back to your parking area. Gotham Mt. is a hike that everyone who visits the park should take.

Mentioned in this post
Gorham
Gorham
White Mountains, NH
Sand Beach
Sand Beach
730 Reviews
Mount Desert Island, ME
Thunder Hole
Thunder Hole
844 Reviews
Mount Desert Island, ME