We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fall Colors?

New Jersey
2 posts
Save Topic
Fall Colors?

When is the best time to visit Bar Harbor to take full advantage of the beautiful fall colors? We have gone several times in the summer but want to go in the fall this year. Any suggestions?

Hampden, Maine
Level Contributor
123 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fall Colors?

Peak foliage varies between the coastal and inland regions, however, a good resource would be to check out the Maine Foliage Report (just do an internet search). According to their reports from 2004, mid-to-late October is best for seeing the foliage in the Bar Harbor/Downeast region. They have all kinds of information, historical data, and photo graphs that will help you to decide when and where to go. When you do come, trust me, you won't be disappointed....

Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Fall Colors?

My experience is that peak season arrives earlier in the Acadia region than the warmer climates of Southern New England.

As posted earlier, check the foliage reports.

Level Contributor
830 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fall Colors?

Here's the website....they'll have it back up and running early September, but you can still puruse it now. You will be blown away when you come in October!

Brunswick, Maine
Level Contributor
2,492 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fall Colors?

Look at the peak dates for Zone 2 on this page state.me.us/doc/…index.html

I find that the reds are better a couple of days before what the state officals call "peak." So, I'd suggest trying to be in Acadia somewhere between the 12th and 16th of October.

Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Fall Colors?

Foliage really depends on the Summer we have in Bar Harbor - Really warm and sunny OR dark and dreary :)

if any help Last year the best time to see the colors was Mid October - usually around Columbus Day

But there are never any guarantees - alot of people arrive too early or too late - and there is NO exact science too it.

especially where we've been having all this rain lately :0

Get answers to your questions about Bar Harbor