We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Besides the Park Loop... What Next?

Jamestown, Tennessee
Level Contributor
78 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Besides the Park Loop... What Next?

When we get done with the Park Loop (hoping Jordan's pond is along that route, I'm dying to know what a popover is) and Cadillac Mountain; what is the next recommended route?

Should we take 3 around the same part of the island, should we head a tad west to 102 and take that around through Seawall Campground, Bass Harbor Head Lighthouse, and up past the Seal Cove Auto Museum, or would it be recommended to go up and check out Schoodic Point even though it is an hour away....

We'll probably only have time for one of these choices in addition to the Park Loop Road, but feel free to rank them accordingly, or make other suggestions, just in case...

Wolcott, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor
Level Contributor
911 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Besides the Park Loop... What Next?

I would suggest going over Rt 102a to Seawall, Wonderland and Ship Harbor. Beautiful section of the Island and there won't be nearly as many cars or people as the Loop road. Schoodic is beautiful but if you have limited time the traffic to and from could be really irritating.

Virginia
Level Contributor
291 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Besides the Park Loop... What Next?

If you end up driving around NE Harbor, on your way back take Sargent Drive. Its a short scenic drive that runs alongside Somes Sound.

Are you able or do you have time to get out of the car? There are some very pretty places along the Park Loop but there are even more places if you are able to hike a little.

Oh and a 'popover' is an overrated puff pastry. ;) The real treat about Jordan Pond is the fantastic scenery. Try and get a table outside if its not too hot. You can also take a short walk along the nature trail to see the Bubbles across the pond.

Jamestown, Tennessee
Level Contributor
78 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Besides the Park Loop... What Next?

I think we'll have a comfortable pace for the day. We should arrive quite early and can stay as late as we think makes sense. I still don't even know what time the sun rises and sets in that area. There may be half of a second day available as well, but I'm still not sure yet. It depends on what other decisions we make regarding some boat trips we are considering.

We'll make plenty of stops, I hope, but mostly the simple stuff... I love photography, so I shoot quite a bit... But, hiking is probably a different story... I am 6 months pregnant with two young children... So, for the most part, I'm looking for things that are an absolute max of 1/2 mile round trip each... And very easy at that...

I know that takes quite a bit away from what could be done in the park, but I'm sure we'll definitely be back again some day when we can spend more time and have that time involved in some more demanding hikes...

Virginia
Level Contributor
291 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Besides the Park Loop... What Next?

Here are some short walks to consider:

- Walk the Bar at low tide. Your kids will like the tidepools.

- The Nature trail at Jordan Pond that I mentioned.

- The Shore path in town.

- Compass Harbor trail - a short walk through woods to a rocky beach.

- Cadillac Mountain Loop (its paved)

- Otter Cliffs (can be as long or short as you want)

New Jersey
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Besides the Park Loop... What Next?

Another easy walk is the shore path. Accessible from many of the popular stops and easily ranks as one of the best easy trails in the park.

New Jersey
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Besides the Park Loop... What Next?

Sorry, I meant the Ocean Path that starts at Sand Beach, not the Shore path which was already mentioned.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
63 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Besides the Park Loop... What Next?

Walk on the carriage road at Eagle Lake in the park. It was raining a bit but we had a canopy of trees and therefore a pleasant walk.

Lansing, Michigan
Level Contributor
28 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Besides the Park Loop... What Next?

Beware of fish dumping at the Bar--we were there a few days ago, and the walk along the bar was ruined by the foul smell of dead fish that had been dumped (in mass quantities) by an unknown individual. If it's not smelly, definitely do it--the kids around were having a ball. Otherwise, be prepared to smell like dead fish all day. :(

Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor
Level Contributor
1,439 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Besides the Park Loop... What Next?

I live one block from the sand bar so we often walk along the beach and the sand bar at low tide. I have never seen mass quantities of fish dumped at the bar. I think the previous posters experience was an exception, not the rule!

I think the walk across the sandbar and up to the summit of Bar Island is a must do while you are in Bar Harbor. Be sure to bring your camera.