We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip in late September

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
6 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Trip in late September

Planning a trip that includes driving from Portland and spending about 3-5 days in Bar Harbor during the late September.

Looking for suggestions on the best location for lodging. Is being in downtown Bar Harbor a major advantage? We'd be doing a wide variety of activities - the major touristy things - and obviously will have a car. And how booked are hotels by that time in September?

My traveling companion and I are vegetarians. I found Eden Vegetarian on the dining link, but would love suggestions for any other places that offer some good vegetarian options.

Also, we were considering taking the CAT ferry just for the day to Nova Scotia. Is that a reasonable idea? Can we do it in one day, and would it be worth it? And maybe most importantly, what are my odds of getting seasick? :)

Thanks!

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
5,912 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip in late September

Being in the village of Bar Harbor is convenient because you can walk to dinner at night rather than driving in and searching for a parking spot. Other than that, it isn't really that important.

Lodging is probably already filling up for late September because it is the beginning of our popular fall foliage period.

Almost all of the restaurants have at least one vegetarian entree. Maggie's and Mache Bistro come to mind for fresh, yummy greens and veg.

It isn't worth it to take The Cat Ferry to Nova Scotia for a day. It goes too fast to stand outside and watch for birds or whales. It lands in the least scenic part of the province. You will spend a fair amount of time queing for the ferry in Bar Harbor and Yarmouth. Often at that time of year this is dense fog out on the Atlantic. The chance of you getting seasick is very high. The likelihood of you having to see or smell someone else getting seasick is even higher.

There is so much to see and do in Acadia National Park that it's a shame to waste a day ferrying back and forth to Nova Scotia.

Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor
Level Contributor
1,439 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip in late September

Check the website www.sleepbarharbor.com to check the availability of several b&b's at one time. Since it's pretty busy at this time of year, it will save you from having to call around to each individual property.

Lehigh Valley, PA
Level Contributor
920 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip in late September

Just to follow up on bonniemaev's comments on vegetarian dining...

First off, neither my wife nor I are vegetarian but we do enjoy eating vegetarian once in a while. I think Eden is excellent with really innovative vegetarian cuisine. Be sure to try their Bento Box.

I think it was two years ago that I went through the first three days, I think it was, of our Bar Harbor vacation eating only vegetarian. That included absolutely wonderful vegan pancakes for breakfast at Jeannie's on Cottage Street. They also have a yummy spicy tofu scramble on the menu. I remember having a veggie burger for lunch one day at Rupununi's on Main Street. It's nice to sit outside as long as the sun and temps cooperate! And I had an excellent vegetarian dinner at Maggie's which was mentioned above. If memory serves, Havana also offer some vegetarian items as does Poor Boys Gourmet.

In short, you should have no problems.

By the way, we'll be there last week of September.

Hartford...
Level Contributor
1,276 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip in late September

If you can stay in downtown, its nice to walk in for breakfast and supper, and a tasty treat at night. That time of year there will be plenty of places to stay with decent prices. It stays pretty busy but after Labor Day it dies off quite a bit. For the last 9 years we been coming up in late Sept. and have no trouble of finding lodging. Have fun.

Mount Desert, Maine
Level Contributor
25 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip in late September

I recommend staying downtown of Bar Harbor. You'll be close to dining, the shore path walk and Bar Island.

In Town - range of prices, well maintained properties with great staff:

- Main Street Motel - reasonable rates short walk to town

- Bar Harbor Inn - pool, restaurant, contenintal breakfast, ocean views

- Bar Harbor Grand Hotel - heated pool & jacuzzi

Alot of restaurants do prepare vegatarian dishes. The Lompoc on Roddick Street has excellent food with vegetarian options. As does The Parkside, Morning Glory Bakery, etc. The great part about Bar Harbor is that almost every restaurant has their menu posted outside so you can have an idea of what's offered prior to entering.

In regards to the CAT. I took the trip, one day. Went to Novia Scotia and stood in the ferry terminal for about 15 minutes then returned back on the ferry to Bar Harbor. Needless to say, I had a great time with the one armed bandits; however I ended up slightly sea sick; however drinks from the bar might have contributed.

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
6 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip in late September

Thank you all!

Sounds like the ferry isn't worth the trip, and that's really helpful information. I'd really rather not spend a day of vacation getting sick! :)

I'm printing all the suggestions for vegetarian dining, and going to go look at the lodging suggestions now.

Thanks again!

Downeast Maine
Level Contributor
1 post
137 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip in late September

Jayde,

Hi, Stan Fleming here (www.acadiavacations.com) and I will be happy to give you my opinions. Unfortunately I am not qualified to provide good advice about Vegetarian restaurant options.

As for staying in downtown Bar Harbor my recommendation is that you not worry about that unless you want to be able to walk to restaurants and shops from your lodging. Mount Desert Island is not very large and you are never more than 30 min max from anyplace on the island. If most of your activity will be of the outdoor type enjoying nature not buying t-shirts and other trinkets then stay anywhere.

Do not waste your time and $$ taking the CAT to Nova Scotia - it is not worth it for a one day trip. In fact, I am even changing my position on spending a week or more in Nova Scotia - I used to recommend it but after a visit last year (had not been there in over 15 years) I no longer recommend it. It has become very commercialized and while there are some beautiful scenic views they are no more spectacular than what you will see on Mount Desert Island and the lodging and food is much much better.

If you want a FUN DAY TRIP then take a trip to Stonington Harbor - a true working fishing village in an amazing setting - be sure to see sunset or sun rise or even better both. Get up early and watch the lobster boats go out (not on Sunday) and stay until they return in the late afternoon.

Visit my web site acadiavacations.com for lodging recommendations - I have picked them based on value and quality of service.

Have a great visit.

Stan Fleming acadiamaine@gmail.com

Lehigh Valley, PA
Level Contributor
920 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip in late September

If this is too late, I apologize but I just came across it tonight. It is a link on the Eden Restaurant web site that would be very helpful for vegetarians and vegans.

barharborvegetarian.com/places_to_stay.htm

Hope this helps.

9. Re: Trip in late September

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 September 2009, 06:22