We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Will current weather be a "damper"?

Orlando
Level Contributor
69 posts
Save Topic
Will current weather be a "damper"?

I am coming to Boothbay Harbor and Bar Harbor the first of July. I have 2 questions:

1. On the way up, we were going to stop in York. Is there a tour you can take at the shipbuilding place there and is it worth it?

2. Is the current cold, rainy weather going to make black flies worse in July? I know in Florida when it rains a lot the mosquitos get worse.

I'm sorry you guys are having such a "wintery" May.

California
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Will current weather be a "damper"?

Hey there - Black flies and mosquitoes are basically only a problem in the area when going hiking - low lying brush and with standing water - more eggs being layed and hatched.

Being from more rural Maine away from the ocean the flies ain't so bad - BUT if going hiking and it's keeping with this awful whether - Make sure you're fly spray has DEET.

Not too sure about York Maine - sorry! Any other questions about Bar Harbor I'd love to help - enjoying visiting our little village :)

Cincinnati, Oh
Level Contributor
462 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Will current weather be a "damper"?

I've been to Maine many times, all different areas, the only mosquitos that were a bother was on Deer Isle, bad enough we packed up the next day. You couldn't go outside at all without being attacked by hundreds. Last year the fog was really a problem, 7 out of 14 days I woke up not being able to see the water that was 25 feet away. It rolled in & out all day long. But, the newsletter I get from Southwest Harbor (Mt. Dessert Island) reported the fishermen have said the waters are 3 degrees warmer this year so the fog should be alot less!! I guess I'll find out when I'm there from July22th-Aug 13th. Bar Harbor is nice, but gets crowded early in the day and stays that way. Boothbay is not a favorite place, crowded and no place to park!!! If you're going to be in that area a must stop is Pemaquid Lighthouse and Popham Beach. Have a great vacation!!

California
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Will current weather be a "damper"?

So far not too foggy this season yet in Bar Harbor!! but VERY rainy lately :(

Orlando
Level Contributor
69 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Will current weather be a "damper"?

Thanks so much for the info. We are staying at Spruce Point Inn in Boothbay Harbor and at Bar Harbor Grande Hotel in Bar Harbor. We plan to do a lot of day trips from Boothbay: Monhegan Island, up to Damariscotta Lake, Pemaquid Point. In Bar Harbor we will be hiking and biking. We also hope to go on a Lobster boat, go for a sail somewhere on a big schooner, and maybe do a sunset cruise or something. Any suggestions pertaining to these?

Brunswick, Maine
Level Contributor
2,492 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Will current weather be a "damper"?

Your trip sounds like fun.

Take your sunset cruise on the schooner Margaret Todd. See http://www.downeastwindjammer.com

FYI, we took young kids (4-9) on the schooner's sunset cruise. They were bored. Too quiet for them. They had to basically sit down and behave. :) It's really more of an adult thing.

When you go to Pemaquid, be sure to drive through New Harbor. It's an idyllic lobstering harbor. Better yet, plan to eat at Shaw's Wharf there (fried seafood, lobster) where you can eat outside on the wharf overlooking the harbor. See, http://www.shawsfishandlobster.com/ You can also take a Monhegan Ferry from Shaw's. www.hardyboat.com/monhegan/monhegan.html

On Route 1 near Waldoboro is Moody's Restaurant, a Maine institution. Diner-fare with yummy home-made pies. Big hearty breakfasts.

Downtown Damariscotta has a handful of interesting shops if the women in the crowd are shoppers.

Get answers to your questions about Bar Harbor