We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Construction Advisory

Which Bar Harbor hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Hampden, Maine
Level Contributor
122 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Construction Advisory

For anyone traveling to MDI/Bar Harbor via Bangor, just thought I'd give you a heads-up that it might take a bit longer than expected. There is major road construction at 3 different points along Route 1A/Route 3 on the way to the island.

First, a 3.5 mile section to widen/straighten the road in the Green Lake area of Route 1A (near Lucerne).

Second, the High Street Widening project at the Main Street/High Street intersection. This is only 0.66 miles long.

Third, the recapping of Route 3 from the Ellsworth Wal-Mart to the Trenton Bridge. (To the best of my knowledge, this is only lasting three days).

As someone who commutes this route for work, I should note that it has only delayed me a total of 10 minutes either way so far. But, just thought I'd share for anyone traveling down 1A/3 towards the island.

Cincinnati, Oh
Level Contributor
444 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Construction Advisory

thanks!!! I will be driving from Bangor to Camden on July 22nd, and back again on the 30th to pick up my sister at the airport. Hopefully things will be better by then.

Brunswick, Maine
Level Contributor
2,492 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Construction Advisory

The particular projects Maine-iak described shouldn't affect your Camden-Bangor route. Of course, that doesn't mean there won't be other projects in your way. After all, there are three seasons in Maine: Winter, Mud & Construction.

Cincinnati, Oh
Level Contributor
444 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Construction Advisory

MicheleS, I'm so many places on vacation I forgot where I was going first!!! I will be going from Bangor airport to Bar Harbor on July 22nd.!! I will post you closer to that date and see how things will be traveled then. Is that o.k. with you??

Florida
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Construction Advisory

Okay, we're coming through on 15 June, back to the airport 17 June and again 19 June. Are there any alternatives to 1A since I suspect summer traffic will be picking up soon? Thanks!

Get answers to your questions about Bar Harbor