We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Best of Bar Harbor/Acadia/MDI

Lehigh Valley, PA
Level Contributor
951 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
The Best of Bar Harbor/Acadia/MDI

Its been pretty quiet on the board. I got to thinking about what I would choose as the the single best thing to see or do on a Bar Harbor/Acadia/MDI vacation. In other words, what I look forward to the most on my return trips. Having visited almost every year since 1999, there are so many. I thought about so many very different things. But if I had to pick just one thing it is the early morning breakfasts at Two Cats, Cafe This Way and Jeannie's but the best all is Jeannie's. Breakfast at Jeannie's - it may sound silly to you but that just may be what I look forward to the most.

I asked my wife the same question and she answered the hike/walk from Sand Beach to Otter Cliffs with specific focus on the Otter Cliffs area.

So I ask all you Bar Harbor/Acadia lovers out there, what is the single (one and only one) Best of Bar Harbor/Acadia/MDI for you?

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
6,489 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Best of Bar Harbor/Acadia/MDI

Personally, I absolutely love it when my driveway turns into a skating rink and there's no hope for a thaw until May. NOT.

Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor
Level Contributor
1,459 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The Best of Bar Harbor/Acadia/MDI

One of my most favorite days in Acadia was last April when we had that big storm. We live on the water and the waves don't normally come up to our backyard, but on that particular day they were splashing up on the lawn. We jumped in our car and headed out to Thunder Hole. WOW! The waves were amazing. At some points along the Park Loop Road near Otter Cliffs, the waves were crashing onto the shore and the wind was carrying the water up and over the cars. We realized that Thunder Hole would never be the same for us again!

Paflyfisher - I don't think it's fair to limit everyone to only one favorite. It's so hard to choose! Every hike, walk, or boat ride we've taken has left us breathless. There's something magical about this place. At least once a week, one of us says "I can't believe we really live here!"

Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor
Level Contributor
1,459 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The Best of Bar Harbor/Acadia/MDI

Bonniemaev - I still say that even though my driveway is definitely an ice rink! I had to back out of my driveway over a two foot high ice wall thanks to the snow plow!

Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor, Acadia National Park
Level Contributor
3,888 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The Best of Bar Harbor/Acadia/MDI

Like many others, I'm sure, I can't really limit it to one.

One of my favorites is my (at least) annual walk---taken after the Loop Road is closed in the early winter and before it reopens in the spring. I park at Jordan Pond, cut through on a snowmobile track for about 50 feet to the carriage road. Then I walk the carriage road around the south end of The Triad, past the closed Wildwood Stables, then north along the east side of Pemetic past Bubble Pond. At the north end of Bubble Pond, I take a break, have a snack and some more water, then walk the Loop Road back past the Bubbles and Jordan Pond to the car.

This time of year, another favorite is to park at the Fabbri parking lot and walk the closed Loop Road the "wrong" way above Otter Cove, around Otter Point (taking the trail if there isn't much snow/ice) and back to the parking lot.

I may have missed out on the early winter long walk---it's a long way to go in deep snow and I'm neither a cross-country skier nor a good snowshoer. Maybe we'll get a thaw.

I do have photos of several of my winter walks at

<http://tinyurl.com/2w873s>

including some images from this early, snowy winter that we are having.

Central New Jersey
Level Contributor
391 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: The Best of Bar Harbor/Acadia/MDI

It's really hard to limit my decision to just "one thing" because everything about MDI/Acadia is magical. I would say though that my all time favorite thing is the view from the top of Penobscot Mt east toward Jordan pond and south towards the ocean. One, because the effort exerted to get there via the several trails to the sumit (which we have all done throughout the years) makes me marvel once again that I was able to get there in the first place! Also, because of the history there and imagining that the Penobscot Indians once hunted there and how THEY managed to get there barefoot or in light moccasins in probably less than ideal conditions!

Catlin, Illinois
Level Contributor
838 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The Best of Bar Harbor/Acadia/MDI

There are so many, but...

For me it is breakfast at Jordans. From the x-mas pictures on the wall to the people who work there, it makes you feel like part of the family.

For my wife, it is Ship Harbor trail.

Lehigh Valley, PA
Level Contributor
951 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The Best of Bar Harbor/Acadia/MDI

For a while there I thought I was the only one who thought of food.

Good start here. I asked for one and only one because a laundry list would be too easy. I wanted to make us think about what is the best of the best, if you will.

I had to rule out favorites like lemonade and popovers on the lawn at Jordan Pond House. (There's food again.) I also had to rule out sunrise/early morning at Bass Harbor. And the hikes. And on and on. You are all right. There is so much great there on the island. But try to come up with what is the BEST for you be it breakfast at Jennie's or Jordan's or the view from atop Penobscot.

Let's keep it going. We've only got six months until we return, this year in June. I can taste that breakfast at Jeannie's already!

Virginia
Level Contributor
291 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The Best of Bar Harbor/Acadia/MDI

Its probably easier if I just tell you which child of mine I love more. :P

I'm gonna cheat a little as my one favorite thing about Acadia isn't a single concrete object. Rather, its how I feel at the given moment when Acadia effects all my five senses at the exact same time when I can smell the sea and the pine trees, hear the surf crashing on the shore, taste the salt in the air, feel the cool crisp breeze, and see the mountains of granite, pine trees and white spruce with the ocean crashing at their feet.

Yeah...thats it.

Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor, Acadia National Park
Level Contributor
3,888 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: The Best of Bar Harbor/Acadia/MDI

acadiafan wrote:

"Rather, its how I feel at the given moment when Acadia effects all my five senses..."

I agree. Part of the reason that I described winter walks in response to paflyfisher's query was in line with what you have said: to be out in the park on a clear, crisp day, with the sunlight on the snow, the blue of the sky and ocean, to smell the subtle scent of the conifers, and to experience the silence.

Wolcott, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor
Level Contributor
946 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: The Best of Bar Harbor/Acadia/MDI

I agree with acadiafan...we've been coming to Acadia for 35+ years and it's not one thing; it's that very first glimpse of the ocean and smell of the salt and pine...there is nothing like it anywhere! You just close your eyes and breath and it's heaven. It's almost like a drug; that's why we keep coming back. If we go too long without our Acadia "fix" we're miserable. Our goal...to retire up there some day!