We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best time during summer months to visit?

near Saratoga, NY
Level Contributor
341 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Best time during summer months to visit?

We've vacationed in southern Maine for many years, and I've been to Bar Harbor once in college. I'm now thinking about a trip back with my family, including my 2 daughters (8 & 11). We'd be driving from the Albany, NY area, so to cut the driving up, we'd stay in the Ogunquit area for a couple of nights, then spend a few nights in Bar Harbor, and a few back in Ogunquit before heading home.

Would you recommend the end of June or end of August for this trip?

Thanks!

Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor, Acadia National Park
Level Contributor
3,886 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best time during summer months to visit?

You didn't say what your particular interests were. However, were it me, I would opt for late June.

Our busiest, i.e., most crowded part of the season is July and August. In terms of accommodations, ease of getting around and all, it will be easier in late June.

Wolcott, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor
Level Contributor
932 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best time during summer months to visit?

I second that vote...definately end of June. It's a beautiful time of year to visit and there are no crowds. You'll get to see everything and not have the crowds. We've had very good luck with the weather in the past during June. Not too hot; perfect for hiking and walking.

near Saratoga, NY
Level Contributor
341 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best time during summer months to visit?

We'd mainly be doing some hiking and visiting the national park (have the girls do the Jr. Ranger thing). I'd like to take them on some sort of whale watching boat ride as well. We'd save the beach part for Ogunquit.

Bar Harbor
Level Contributor
158 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best time during summer months to visit?

If your choice is between the end of June and the end of August, I think either would be fine, as long as it is the END of August and not the middle of the month. It tends to get quieter here right before Labor Day and the weather is still nice enough to do everything. Have a great time which ever you decide.

Brunswick, Maine
Level Contributor
2,492 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best time during summer months to visit?

If you compare the lodging rates, you'll probably find a marked difference between end of June and end of August. My only concern would be water temperature if the girls want to spend a lot of time in the ocean.

End of June your days would be really long, sunset not until about 8:30.

near Saratoga, NY
Level Contributor
341 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best time during summer months to visit?

If we did the very last week of June into July, are there fireworks displays in the area? Also, once July 4th hits, does it become crowded?

Thanks for all of the information you've all given!

Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,886 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best time during summer months to visit?

There are several fireworkds displays in the area, including Bar Harbor.

July 4 is perhaps our busiest and most crowded day of the season, owing to the day-long festivities (blueberry pancake breakfast, parade, mid-day lobster feed, and evening fireworks). It is a good day to walk because you won't get anywhere driving.

near Saratoga, NY
Level Contributor
341 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best time during summer months to visit?

One other question...is there a black fly season that I should avoid? I know that around here in NY, May & early June can be bad for black flies.

Thanks-lots of questions, I know. :-)

Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,886 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best time during summer months to visit?

Black flies are pretty much gone by early July. There still may be some down along streams,around wetlands, and in the deeper parts of the forests, but most of the places that you are likely to be in the park, they won't be much of a problem, if at all.

Michigan
Level Contributor
237 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best time during summer months to visit?

We've been the end of june and the end of August. At the end of Aug things are really winding down in Bah habah. There was a Holiday Inn Sunspree there that was a very nice place. At the end of June everything is gearing up for high season. We enjoyed both but late June would be my pick as long as it's late June. In early June many places are not open for the season.