We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Red Tide!?!

Which Bar Harbor hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Orlando
Level Contributor
69 posts
Save Topic
Red Tide!?!

What's the deal with the red tide? Will the seafood be safe to eat? My family is coming to Boothbay Harbor and Bar Harbor for 10 days at the beginning of July. What will be safe to eat? Please help...we're considering canceling our trip because the great food was a lot of the reason we were going.

Maine
Level Contributor
829 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Red Tide!?!

Darn those newscasts and their incomplete information! I was watching one network's news last night and saw a story, and figured it would scare off tons of people from eating seafood!

Here's the deal: "Red tide" is a naturally-occurring organism that occasionally shows up in bivalve mollosks like mussels and clams. It is indeed toxic to humans, and that is why the harvesting of clams and mussels is carefully monitored, and areas of the coast can be closed to taking of bivalves during red tide's occurrence. You'll still be able to get mussels and clams at restaurants, but because of the current limited availability, or the need to bring in from a greater distance, some are adding an additional charge for those items.

As to other seafoods: crustraceans like lobster and crab, and all types of fish are not affected by red tide, thus no worries there. I'm glad you posted! I'll put the same info on a general post to all.

Get answers to your questions about Bar Harbor