We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Red Tide?

Which Bar Harbor hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Orlando
Level Contributor
69 posts
Save Topic
Red Tide?

What's the deal with the red tide? Will the seafood be safe to eat? My family is coming to Boothbay Harbor and Bar Harbor for 10 days at the beginning of July. What will be safe to eat? Please help...we're considering canceling our trip because the great food was a lot of the reason we were going.

Brunswick, Maine
Level Contributor
2,492 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Red Tide?

Do NOT cancel your trip.

Do a search on Google News with words such as "red tide" and seafood and you'll see that restaurants are still serving seafood, but they are having it shipped in from areas outside the Red Tide zone (e.g., Canada). You'll also see that certain kinds of seafood (lobsters, scallops, crabs, shrimp or finned fish) are NOT affected at all.

Here is a sample news story. www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php…

Come on up, bring your own melted butter.

Hampden, Maine
Level Contributor
122 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Red Tide?

As MicheleS said, Red Tide only affects certain kinds of seafood, basically filter feeders (clams, mussels, etc) and not fish, lobster or crabs. Again, as she said, restaurants are ordering their seafood from unaffected areas, which might only impact the price slightly. So, come on up, enjoy the sights, sounds and tastes of Maine!!

Orlando
Level Contributor
69 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Red Tide?

Thanks for the encouragement. We've decided to go and just be cautious. Is there any effect on the water activities and/or boating? Does the water look different? We are used to the red tide in Florida, and when that occurs, everything is affected, including the air and the look of the water. Thanks for your help!

Brunswick, Maine
Level Contributor
2,492 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Red Tide?

Apparently your red tide in Florida is not the same red tide as New England is experiencing right now. See capecodchronicle.com/chatnews/chat061605_2.h…

And neither one are related to the crimson tide in Alabama. :)

Marblehead, MA
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Red Tide?

DO NOT EAT CRAB!!! My mother was just exposed to red tide by eating a crab roll (crabs sometimes feed on coral which has the plankton on it that causes red tide). She got very sick,(rashes all over her body, rapid breathing, nausea, vomiting, terrible stomach pain, dizziness, foggy-headed, short of breath, she luckily did not get paralysed. But she was initially mis-diagnosed, and told that she was just allergic to shellfish, which I guess is common as many people do not realize that crab can be a vector for transmission of red tide. Fo0r this reason, I would not risk eating crab (or snails), in addition to the other shellfish people have mentioned.

Orlando
Level Contributor
69 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Red Tide?

What's the difference between eating crab and lobster?

Orlando
Level Contributor
69 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Red Tide?

Eliza...The diagnosis of PSP from redtide is a reportable disease. Cases of suspected PSP poisoning should be reported to the Center for Environmental Health, Food Protection Program, at 617-983-6712 or to the Center for Hospitals and Clinical Laboratories, Bureau of Communicable Disease Control, at 617-983-6800. This can help those of us who don't know what to eat. I hope she feels better!

Hampden, Maine
Level Contributor
122 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Red Tide?

Again, it appears there is some mis-information being posted. To clear things up, here's some sections from the linked article below:

"Shrimp, lobsters and crabs, which are not filter feeders, are not affected by the red tide blooms."

"The state has very strict shellfish sanitation rules, she said, and sellers are required to make each shellfish sale noting the precise location where the shellfish were taken."

"Any shellfish that is in the system (in restaurants/markets) is safe and is coming from open areas," she said."

www.bangornews.com/news/templates/…

Hope this helps clear up any misunderstandings....

Orlando
Level Contributor
69 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Red Tide?

Thanks again for the information. The conflicting info is very confusing, but what you are saying is what I hear in most places. I guess you have to have confidence in the system and in your restauranteurs. (did I spell that correctly).