We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Worthwhile Drives outside Bar Harbor

Michigan
Level Contributor
76 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Worthwhile Drives outside Bar Harbor

Gearing up for our trip in a few days. I'm wondering which drives are the most worthwhile, away from downtown Bar Harbor.

I thought an excusion toward Bernard for Thurstons Lobster Pound and Bass Harbor Head Lighthouse would be worth it. (I believe there's a garden in this direction also?) A possible kayak trip in this area.

Are there other side trips that shouldn't be missed? Northeast Harbor? Cranberry Islands? We only have 4.5 days and the goal is to RELAX, so I don't want to sight see like there's no tomorrow --- but I am interested in some of the surrounding area if worthwhile. Suggestions?

Thank you!

Cincinnati, Oh
Level Contributor
462 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Worthwhile Drives outside Bar Harbor

One of my favorite drives is rt.3 out of Bar harbor to Northeast Harbor, into the village and take Sargent Dr. which is a beautiful drive along Somes Sound, the only fjord on the Atlantic coast of USA, follow that back to rt 198 to rt. 102 to Southwest Harbor, take rt. 102A to Manset, Seawall (it really is!!), Bass Harbor, at that point you can continue on 102 back thru Southwest Harbor or take 102 thru Tremont, Seal Cove, Somesville & back to Bar Harbor if that is where you want to go back to. You will find numerous places to stop if you want, and there are several good eateries along the way. Hope this helps, it really is a nice drive.