We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for Cottage Rental MDI

Which Bar Harbor hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Quebec, Canada
Level Contributor
332 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Looking for Cottage Rental MDI

Can anyone recommend a few good cottage rentals for me. We`ve never been to Maine before (we`re coming from Quebec, just my husband and I) and I love the look of MDI. I`d also appreciate any input on preferences of areas to stay in while we`re there. We`re looking for something not too remote, but quiet, we`d like to be able to buy lobsters and cook them ourselves, as we are HUGE lobster lovers.

We thought that by renting a cabin for a week, we`d be able to satisfy our lobster / seafood cravings without breaking the bank.

Is there anyone who has done this. Is the lobster/seafood easily available to purchase. Does it save much money to do this.

Of course we want to eat out too, we are after all on vacation!

The Bar Harbour Cottages and Suites look nice, also the Edgewater and Eden Village has good recommendations here on Trip Advisor.

I would appreciate any help, as the cottage availability is quickly filling up.

Trenton ME
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for Cottage Rental MDI

Do a Google search for Southwest Harbor Chamber of Commerce. You will get a new set of listings as of what is available. Bar Harbor does not allow for advertising through their chamber, to protect the Bar Harbor Brand.

Southwest Harbor, Tremont, Brandard, Bass Harbor are known as the Quiteside of MDI. Bass Harbor Campground has cottages.

Harbor View Motel may have efficiency available.

As far as purchasing lobsters, the cheapest place to get them would be someone selling them on the side of the road. The next cheapest place to get them would be a place like Beal's lobster Peir or Thurston's Wharf. The savings is not that significant, and besides the peir will cook you lobster if you buy it from them. The mess it makes is worth spending the extra dollar or two. You Could go deep sea fishing on the Vagabond, dba Masako Queen fishing company. They do Deep sea fishing, Lobstering and Seal Watching. If you get a lobster, Beal's will cook it for you, providing you buy something to go with it.

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
5,546 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for Cottage Rental MDI

Eden Village is right on the main highway, although the property extends back to where that might not be a problem. The other two are well off the main highway, yet not isolated. They are almost across the street from one another. I know that Bar Harbor Cottages are decorated to a high standard and include welcome baskets with handy things like milk for your coffee. They also have screened porches which is a good thing in blackfly season in June.

The cottages, as you can probably see from the web pages, are clusters are very tiny little buildings. If you are going to stay for a week, you might look into renting a house in the area. Here's a web site with lots of choices:

http://www.cyberrentals.com/index.cfm/fa/find.squery?keywords=bar+harbor+maine

Other ways to keep from breaking the bank and yet eat lots of lobster is to go for the early bird specials. If you dine before 6 or 6:30, there is a discount on a lobster dinner at many restaurants. There are also lots of roadside lobster "pounds" where there isn't much in the way of atmosphere or silverware, but the lobster is cheap. You sit outside on park benches and let the butter drip off your elbows.

Brunswick, Maine
Level Contributor
2,492 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for Cottage Rental MDI

If you plan to stay in entire week, you can rent cottages from individual property owners. They tend to advertise them thru online sites like VRBO.com and Cyberrental. Search for rental cottage + Bar Harbor and then comb thru the results. You should have lots of choices.

Also check out the rental units on this web site:

http://www.lsrobinson.com/rentals/search/

You might pay as much for a week in a cottage as you would for seven nights in a motel. But, you will also get a kitchen, and maybe more privacy and water view.

There are parts of the island that are more remote than others. If it were me on a vacation, I wouldn't have to be in any particular town, but it would be nice to be within a mile or two or some town so I could go for groceries, ice cream after dinner, a walk, etc. I could be just as happy in Tremont as in Bar Harbor, but if you want lots of stimulation, want to be near shopping and restaurants, you'd probably prefer to be in Bar Harbor, Southwest Harbor, Northeast Harbor or Somesville as they are closer to the action.

The lobsters in the tanks in the grocery store are usually fresh in these coastal towns. There are signs everywhere for lobster. I typically buy mine at the grocery store, they boil it and I avoid the mess. :)

Bass Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
231 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for Cottage Rental MDI

Try acadiachamber.com (Southwest Harbor/Tremont Chamber of Commerce), acadiainfo.com (Bar Harbor Chamber with island-wide listings) or acadiamagic.com for cottages. Southwest Harbor/Tremont are on the 'quietside' of MDI and close to everything. Seafood is everywhere and Pectic Seafood is opening a new store in Ellsworth in addition to their Hall Quarry location. Lobster was $7 a pound for pound and a quarters at Rich's in Bass Harbor last week. We usually get a bunch so that we can make lobster rolls, bisque or stew. That seems to be a savings for us - dinner for four *plus* three very chubby lobster 'subs'. If you stay on the water, you can watch the lobster boats come and go and then you can mosey down to pick up yours' at Rich's or Thurston's. Have a great vacation - it sounds like a good plan.

5. Re: Looking for Cottage Rental MDI

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 September 2009, 22:17
Get answers to your questions about Bar Harbor