We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

recommended inexpensive - but clean - motels?

Connecticut
Level Contributor
6 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
recommended inexpensive - but clean - motels?

My wife and I want to wisk our kids out of school for a week to visit Acadia-Bar Harbor during the week before Memorial Day. Hope to get in some hiking in Maine for the first time before things get hot and busy after Memorial Day (summer school and such).

Can folks recommend some clean, inexpensive motels with good proximity to Acadia National Park?

Thanks; we love the advice we've received through TripAdvisor over the years.

California
Level Contributor
1,388 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: recommended inexpensive - but clean - motels?

Yikes, the teachers don't like it when you do that!

Wonder View Inn, Acadia Inn, Quality Inn and holiday Inn all look about the same price that week.

Don't forget to eat plenty of garlic to help keep the mosquitoes away. Late may - mosquitoes play!

Brunswick, Maine
Level Contributor
2,492 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: recommended inexpensive - but clean - motels?

The Bar Harbor Motel has family suites that are reasonably priced. But, it really doesn't get hot and busy until July & August. Some things might not open before Memorial Day.

Trenton ME
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: recommended inexpensive - but clean - motels?

Harbor View Motel in Southwest Harbor. They have efficiencies. Do your own cooking and save a little bit from going out to the restaurants.

You can also try Harbor Ridge Resorts. 207 244 7000. They are timeshares. It maybe worth a try to see if someone is not going to use their timeshare and see if they would be willing to sell you a couple of days.They have kitchenettes as well.

If you came on or after memorial day, it's still pretty quite on MDI. It don't get busy until July and August. Downtown Bar Harbor will be a bit crowded in June.

You might get some cheaper listings through the Southwest Harbor Chamber of Commerce.

Trenton ME
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: recommended inexpensive - but clean - motels?

If you decide to rent a house, try negotiating the price. Tourism will be down substantially this year.

Brunswick, Maine
Level Contributor
2,492 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: recommended inexpensive - but clean - motels?

You think?

Or do you think that folks will give up their plans to travel by airplane (and cruise ship) to more far flung places and instead travel to closer areas by car?

Seems that in past years Maine's tourism economy has been more recession proof because we're less than one day's car ride from millions of people.

Trenton ME
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: recommended inexpensive - but clean - motels?

campgrounds, cottages and hotels are reporting that their reservations are down 50% from last years numbers at this time. It is a election year, people have a tendency to spend less and the first thing that will go with rising fuel and food prices will be a vacation. Not to mention the economy is in a slowdown.

7. Re: recommended inexpensive - but clean - motels?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 September 2009, 23:16
Get answers to your questions about Bar Harbor