We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurant or Activity Suggestions in Trenton

Which Bar Harbor hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Tappahannock...
Level Contributor
18 posts
122 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurant or Activity Suggestions in Trenton

Hi,

I'm going to be staying in Trenton in October with my mom and my aunt. We're renting a cute little cottage right on the beach. As I understand it, we're staying about 10 miles from the park. We'll probably be spending most of our time in and around the park. Someone also told me not to miss the Schoodic Peninsula.

I was just wondering if there was anything else around Trenton that we should be sure to visit. Based on the information on this forum, I've written up a pretty detailed information sheet about Bar Harbor, but I don't really have any information on anything else. Thanks in advance for any thoughts and suggestions!

P.S. If anyone is interested in the information sheet that I developed, please email me and I'll be glad to pass it along!

Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor, Acadia National Park
Level Contributor
3,840 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurant or Activity Suggestions in Trenton

I imagine that for most people, Trenton is that area that one must pass through in going from Ellsworth or points north and west to Mount Desert Island, and vice versa. There is a "fun park," e.g., water slide, etc., and an evening lumberjack show (I don't recall whether either of these is open in October).

There is a very nice restaurant in Ellsworth that might interest you---Cleonice---which features a wide variety of Mediterannean food.

If you are going to be stocking up edible goodies for your stay, go into the old main part of Ellsworth (Main Street) and check out Rooster Brother, which has a good deli downstairs of their kitchenware store, and John Edwards, which features organic foods and produce and several varieties of locally-baked bread. Both places also have good wine sections and coffee sections. While you are in that area, you can check out the menu at Cleonice.

Trenton ME
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurant or Activity Suggestions in Trenton

Trenton Bridge Lobster Pound shouldn't be to crowded in October. September is pretty quite to if one wanted to come a little bit earlier.

China Hill and Hellen's restaurant have good food at affordable prices.

Quietside of MDI Southwest Harbor, Tremont, Barnard and Bass Harbor is quiet, the end of the line as far as traffic goes. Log onto the southwest Harbor Chamber of Commerce. Bar Harbor Chamber of Commerce won't give you all of the listings on MDI. They voted down a measure that would allow businesses to advertise out of town last year.

Brunswick, Maine
Level Contributor
2,492 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurant or Activity Suggestions in Trenton

Other than the Trenton Bridge Lobster Pound (A+) and the aerial sightseeing flights that take off from the airport (A+), I can't think of anything in Trenton. There are a lot of "tourist traps" on Route 3 in Trenton where you can go to pick up lobster magnets, tee shirts, blueberry jam, lobster trophies and the like--a stop at just one of them will probably do it for you. :)

If you are venturing into Ellsworth, check out The Grasshopper Shope, an uber-cool clothing, housewares and gifts shop downtown. It's one of the hippest shops in Maine.

If I were you, I'd plan to spend most of my time either relaxing at the cottage or adventuring in Acadia.

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
5,468 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurant or Activity Suggestions in Trenton

There is a lumberjack show in Trenton that some people enjoy. Lots of lumber *jills* there. It's owned by Timber Tina, who was once on the CBS Survivor show.

New York, New York
Level Contributor
218 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurant or Activity Suggestions in Trenton

In addition to Trenton Lobster Pound -- which is an "institution" -- you, your mother, and aunt might want to pick up sandwiches at Mother's Kitchen in Town Hill as you head to destinations on the island. Of course, there's so much to do in Bar Harbor, but if you like charming villages, you should explore "the quiet side" -- Somesville (where I have a summer house), Southwest Harbor, and Bass Harbor. Definitely see the Bass Harbor Headlight. My Website -- www.ouracadia.com -- focuses mostly on things to do on the quiet side and I have a section "Tips for Fall Trips" that might be helpful to you. Have a wonderful vacation!

Tappahannock...
Level Contributor
18 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurant or Activity Suggestions in Trenton

Thanks so much to all of you for providing such great ideas!! I'm adding them all to my information sheet in anticipation of our trip. Can't wait and thank you again!

Kia

Maine
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurant or Activity Suggestions in Trenton

The Lighthouse Restaurant has really good food and is not over priced. It is next to the Trenton Marketplace, an IGA that has good sandwiches. And the pizza at C&G Mini Store(on the corner of Bayside and GOose Cove roads) is my favorite.

Saint Joseph...
Level Contributor
12 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Restaurant or Activity Suggestions in Trenton

Just to let you know the lumberjack show is closed for the season. Not sure of your dates in October. Trenton Bridge Lobster Pound is closed on Sundays, there is another lobster pound called Down East Lobster pound that is very good also and open on Sundays. Another cute little shop call Mainely Maine Trenton.

9. Re: Restaurant or Activity Suggestions in Trenton

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 March 2010, 06:16