We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boat ride for family

Level Contributor
124 posts
159 reviews
Save Topic
Boat ride for family

I am getting married at the Bar Harbor Inn in mid-September and we are putting both immediate families up at the Seascape mansion for the week. We have to find some things for all to do for the first few few days as a family before sending everybody out to do their own thing.

Anyway, a trip to Acadia and Jordan Pond House for lunch is one day, but we are looking for one more thing to do on the next day. We considered a lobster bake but don't really see one. Another idea was a possible boat ride that all would enjoy. But I don't want to go way out into the ocean. A few years back I went on a whale tour and like the majority of the passengers, I got seasick. And the Margaret Todd I watch when staying at the Bar Harbor Inn, and truthfully it looks kind of boring because it never leaves the harbor and it's soooo slow. Is there anything in between those two extremes for about 16 people of all ages and conditions?

Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor
Level Contributor
1,472 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Boat ride for family

LuLu's Lobster Boat is a great trip. It also stays in the Harbor, but you go up the coast, around Egg Rock Lighthouse, and then out to a couple lobster traps where the Captain will pull the traps and tell you all about lobstering in Maine. I think the limit is 15 people. This trip is great for kids and adults. We had a family reunion here last year and we rented the whole boat for a group of us.

Also, the Acadia Nature Cruise is a great trip. It's about 2 1/2 hours and cruises up the coast and out to Egg Rock Lighthouse. This is a much larger boat so you wouldn't have the whole trip to yourselves.

Another great trip is Diver Ed. He's a scuba diver and he goes below while you watch on a screen. Then he pulls up all sorts of animals and tells you all about them. He's also hilarious. My mother took my daughter and they both loved it. He also has a smaller boat so there may be a cap on the number of people.

Level Contributor
17 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Boat ride for family

I would recommend Island Cruises out of Bass Harbor. There are at least two a day, one that goes to Frenchboro and the other than simply cruises around. Doesn't go out far, sees the lighthouses, seals, etc. We always take the folks that visit us on this cruse, and I have a set of cousins that comes up every year and insists on making this cruise a part of their trip. Doesn't get out of sight of land, captain has a great narration and it is a lot of fun.

Brunswick, Maine
Level Contributor
2,492 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Boat ride for family

I sort of agree with you on the Margaret Todd. That pace is great for romantics who just want to cuddle as the sun sets, enjoy the scenery and maybe drink some wine, but the kids will probably go crazy as there just isn't much to hold their attention.

I always like going out to one of the islands because life on an island just seems so interesting.

I like the Cranberry Isle cruises out of Northeast Harbor on the Beal and Bunker Mailboat. Northeast Harbor is so beautiful and the route takes you right by the Bear Island Light. The views back at MDI are gorgeous, and even more impressive than the nice ones you get from Frenchman's Bay.

You could go out to Little Cranberry, have lunch together at the Isleford Dock Restaurant, tour the little historical society, browse in the shops and art galleries, give folks a little time to wander about, if you have young kids they could swim on a wee little sandy beach not too far from the dock. Folks who want to cover more ground could take rented bikes, but there is plenty to see in walking distance of where the mailboat lands. http://www.cranberryisles.com/ferries.html

If you have anyone in the group who doesn't have great mobility, this might be tough, but otherwise it would be a fun outing.

The boat will hold 16 but you might want to reserve for a group that large.

I've also heard great things about the Baker Island cruise, but have not yet done it myself. With that many folks you might be able to charter that trip.

4. Re: Boat ride for family

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 September 2009, 11:22
Get answers to your questions about Bar Harbor
Still have questions?
Post your own question so other travellers can help.
Ask a question