We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much more does Nova Scotia add than coast of Maine?

pnwtoc
Level Contributor
123 posts
129 reviews
Save Topic
How much more does Nova Scotia add than coast of Maine?

My family and I are planning a Maine/Canada trip. Approximately 7 days (slightly flexible on that). Start in Boston, drive up the Maine coast from there.

My question is how hard should I push to make NS part of this vacation. From online research it seems that maybe it more of the same as the coast of Maine (nice scenery, whale watching tours, etc). I can do all of this from the coast of Maine (or at least from St. Andrews to avoid driving all the way around the Bay of Fundy). I'm extremely unwilling to pay the ferry cost to save time.

I'm sure NS is beautiful, but how much incremental value does it really add?

Central Maine
Level Contributor
451 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: How much more does Nova Scotia add than coast of Maine?

The short answer is 7 days is not enough time to do it all. There is no point in spending all that time in the car, driving. Give yourself time to explore specific areas.

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
6,489 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How much more does Nova Scotia add than coast of Maine?

Nova Scotia is not much like the coast of Maine, at all. There are at least three regions of Nova Scotia, all distinct.

There is the Bay of Fundy side with its dramatic tides, mud flats, tidal bores, orchards, small towns with huge wooden churches.

There is the Atlantic Coast which is somewhat like Maine. It has lighthouses, lots of churches, a little German town called Lunenberg.

There is the Cabot Trail way to the north which has very dramatic green mountains surrounded by the bluest ocean. The mountains are somehow quite different from the mountains of Acadia -- not so many granite outcroppings.

That said, I wouldn't try to do both Maine and Nova Scotia in seven days. Nova Scotia is well worth a whole separate trip. I definitely wouldn't take the Cat Ferry to Nova Scotia for a day trip. Not only is it very expensive, as you say, you'd spend most of the time on the water and wouldn't get a good feeling for the province in just a day or even two.

Rather than St. Andrew's, I'd go up to Lubec, Maine and then across the bridge to Campobello Island, which is Canada. The border crossing is easier and the Roosevelt home on Campobello is nice.

Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor, Acadia National Park
Level Contributor
3,888 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How much more does Nova Scotia add than coast of Maine?

I agree with HD---seven days is not enough to do justice to both. Nova Scotia is not simply "more of Maine." It has a different history, different culture, and for that matter, different coastal geography/topography. The Atlantic coast in some areas is much like Maine; the Bay of Fundy coast is decidedly different.

For future reference, you don't have to take the high-speed ferry from either Bar Harbor or Portland to get to NS; you can drive to St. John NB and take that ferry across to Digby, NS. It's a much nicer ferry and you can even stand out on deck and see the scenery.

4. Re: How much more does Nova Scotia add than coast of Maine?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 September 2009, 14:22