We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rt.1 on a Sunday?

cornfield county
Level Contributor
75 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Rt.1 on a Sunday?

We will be in Bar Harbor on the 4th of July weekend. We originally planned to leave on Sunday, travel down Rt.1 and sightsee (we will be on a motorcycle). It occurred to me that the Sunday after the 4th might be a traffic nightmare. Do you think it would be better to stay an extra day and make the drive Monday instead?

Brunswick, Maine
Level Contributor
2,492 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rt.1 on a Sunday?

Probably not a bad idea. But, remember in the summer lots of tourists are taking extra days or an entire week or two for vacation, so don't expect a huge drop in tourists on Monday. Route 1 could still be fairly crowded, especially thru the Wiscasset area.

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
6,384 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rt.1 on a Sunday?

Route 1 will be crowded any day in July. I really don't think that Sunday vs. Monday will make much of a difference at all. Just don't do it on the 4th itself when little towns will just make traffic wait while they have their parade.

On a bike, my choice would be to buy a good map, like the Maine Gazeteer from deLorme, and take some small roads around the Camden area. The rural roads and small towns are a very pleasant bypass while traffic comes to a long standstill at the stop sign on Route 1 in Camden village. You'll love the huge, high bridge over the Penobscot River at Bucksport.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
124 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rt.1 on a Sunday?

Depends on where you're from when talking about traffic. One of the great things about Maine is that what the residents consider heavy traffic would be a casual Sunday drive for just about anywhere else in the country. I've been to Bar Harbor four times, including three times in the last year, and I have yet to see anything close to heavy traffic.

Bass Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
243 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Rt.1 on a Sunday?

Even on a motorcycle, I would prefer to travel on the following Monday - Tuesday would be better. Route 1 will be busy - think flea markets, RVs, etc. and uncomfortably stop and go (at least in my biking days) but as suggested, the side routes can be very pretty. After Acadia, heading south through Surry, E. Blue Hill, Blue Hill Falls, even Deer Isle/Stonington will be lovely - I would plan around those routes especially if I were to travel on Sunday. Have a great weekend.

5. Re: Rt.1 on a Sunday?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 September 2009, 03:19
Get answers to your questions about Bar Harbor