We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Coming to Bar Harbor for 3 days, what to do ?

Which Bar Harbor hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Fredericton, Canada
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Coming to Bar Harbor for 3 days, what to do ?

Hi there,

My boyfriend and I are coming to Bar Harbor on July 6th, and leaving on the 9th, just wondering what the cant miss activities are around here, first visit here for both of us. We are planning on going to Freeport on one of the days, so really looking for stuff we can do in 2 days. We are camping at Mt Dessert Narrows Camping resort, and are looking for things close to the area. Any suggestions would be appreciated :D Also what are some of the good restaraunts in the area when it comes to seafood?

Thanks!

Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor
Level Contributor
1,424 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Coming to Bar Harbor for 3 days, what to do ?

Do you know that Freeport is a three hour drive from Bar Harbor? There are lots of better ways to spend a day in Bar Harbor than driving to Freeport.

Bar Harbor
Level Contributor
158 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Coming to Bar Harbor for 3 days, what to do ?

That does sound of silly to drive all the way to Freeport for one of your days in Bar Harbor. There is so much to do and see here, it would really be a waste of time to go to Freeport. Of course, if you are not interested in what our beautiful Acadia National Park has to offer, hiking, biking, walking, beautiful scenery and quaint harbor towns, you should probably go to Freeport first, spend the night there and then drive back to Bar Harbor for two nights. I would stay in Bar Harbor and enjoy what we have here and go to Freeport another time when you aren't so pressed for town

Fredericton, Canada
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Coming to Bar Harbor for 3 days, what to do ?

I am well aware that Freeport is 3 hours away, but it is something that I wanted to do, and I really dont feel that I am wasting my time driving to do that. I was just looking to get some information about suggested things to do in the Bar Harbor area...

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
5,780 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Coming to Bar Harbor for 3 days, what to do ?

Best place to have lunch in Freeport is the Azure Cafe. Really yummy food from tasty salads to Italian to lobster.

In the Bar Harbor the best restaurants, in my opinion, are

Red Sky over in Southwest Harbor

Town Hill Bistro, in Town Hill

McKay's, Cafe This Way, Maggies in Bar Harbor

Things to do, first and foremost, is Acadia National Park. Certainly drive the Loop Road and stop at Sand Beach and Thunder Hole. Drive to the top of Mount Cadillac. Then a walk around Jordan Pond followed by tea and popovers on the lawn overlooking the pond is a very nice outing.

There are also boat excursions from whale watching to a lighthouse tour to a sunset sail. There is renting bicycles for a ride on the carriage roads in the Park and more popovers! There are whole or half day guided kayak rentals. There is walking across the sand bar at low tide to Bar Island.

There is a native American museum in the village of Bar Harbor. There is always a stop for coffee or ice cream or the internet cafe which has great home-baked pastries in addition to about 40 computers.

A walk along the Shore Path in Bar Harbor is always pleasant. One side is the luxury homes and the other side is the Porcupine Islands and the harbor dotted with lobster boats, sail boats, and sometimes, during the day, a cruise ship.

Fredericton, Canada
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Coming to Bar Harbor for 3 days, what to do ?

Thank you very much, I really appreciate the information.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
32 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Coming to Bar Harbor for 3 days, what to do ?

My husband and I are returning for our second visit to Bar Harbor on July 2-4.

Last time, we rented bikes and explored the carriage trails in Acadia. We are not experienced cyclists, so if we can do it, anyone can. We strolled around the shops and restaurants quite a bit. We got up to see the sunrise from Cadillac Mountain - I highly recommend that. Catch the Thunder Hole in Acadia as the tide comes in - it's cool. There is a brewery that is just outside of Bar Harbor called "Atlantic Brewing Company" www.atlanticbrewing.com which has a great outdoor/patio barbecue place.

This time, we plan to see the sunrise again, and then hit Jordan Pond house for popovers (they were closed last time, pre-season I think). Then I want to walk to Bar Island at low tide and climb the hill to see the view, then walk back before the tide comes in. (Just sounds like fun.) And we'll stop at the Brewing Co. to get more blueberry ale and barbecue!

You can get sunrise/sunset and high/low tide times just about anywhere - just ask.

Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor, Acadia National Park
Level Contributor
3,861 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Coming to Bar Harbor for 3 days, what to do ?

There is a free publication---available nearly everywhere---"Acadia Weekly." In addition to the daily almanacs (tide and sunrise/sunset data), it has short features, the daily schedule of Ranger programs in the park and a lot of information on things to see and do.

If you want to plan ahead, go to:

www.maineboats.com/tide-charts/downeast

which provides tide tables and sunrise/sunset for each month.

8. Re: Coming to Bar Harbor for 3 days, what to do ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 October 2009, 08:22