We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

bangor to bar harbor construction update needed!!!

Cincinnati, Oh
Level Contributor
462 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
bangor to bar harbor construction update needed!!!

The time has finally arrived for vacation!!! I will be travelling Bangor to Bar Harbor July 22nd, has the construction improved any??? Thanks.

Hampden, Maine
Level Contributor
123 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: bangor to bar harbor construction update needed!!!

I just came that route through the construction about 30 minutes ago. It all depends on the time of day you're coming down through there. I make the drive every day and early in the morning (6:30am-ish) they haven't really started yet and late in the afternoon (4:30pm-ish) they're starting to finish up.

The first major construction you will hit is on Route 1A in Dedham. This is a 3.5 mile stretch, of which about one-half to one mile is all dirt and slow travelling. The next construction you'll hit is in Ellsworth, however they have switched to night-time work (after 7pm) so if you're coming through during the day you should be fine.

Basically, this construction has only slowed our drive from Bangor to Bar Harbor by about 10-15 minutes. However, I have heard of longer delays mid-day when the crews in Dedham are more active.

You should be fine, enjoy your stay in Maine!!!

Cincinnati, Oh
Level Contributor
462 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: bangor to bar harbor construction update needed!!!

Thanks Maine-iak!!! I will be travelling in the early afternoon, I have to stop in Ellsworth to grocery shop and pick up a cooler for the next days shopping at Southwest Market. I will be on Swans Island for the week and I found out last week the general store burned down, even though the past 3 years they haven't carried a lot of groceries, they did have some of the neccesities!!! I am looking forward to seeing Aroostook County the second week (3 days), home base will be Sprucehead Island. The 3rd week in Camden "playing" tour guide for family!!! I'll need a vacation after vacation!!! Will post my "County" experiences when I return.

Get answers to your questions about Bar Harbor