We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

From Bar Harbor to Portland in July- Help!

california
1 post
Save Topic
From Bar Harbor to Portland in July- Help!

Hi everyone, I have always enjoyed the many wonderful advices given here. I will be traveling from Bar harbor to Portland on a friday afternoon in July (next week, precisely). Could you please recommend a place to get a quick yet great meal on the way? We are hoping to take more of a scenic route when we return to portland, but are scared about the amount of traffic that we might face. Please recommend a route that we should take so that we may maximize our Main coast experience without being stuck in traffic all day. Thanks so much!!!

Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor
Level Contributor
1,458 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: From Bar Harbor to Portland in July- Help!

I don't think there is anywhere in Maine that you could be stuck in traffic all day. I would take Rt 1 from Bar Harbor to Portland, stopping in Rockland or Camden for lunch. It will take you about four hours to drive Rt 1 vs three hours if you went through Bangor and down 95 S to get to Portland. Traveling down Rt 1 will take you through several small towns where the speed limit will dip down to 25 mph and though some stop lights. Adding extra cars may slow you down or getting stuck behind some slow moving truck - but you are not going to run into bumper to bumper traffic anywhere except maybe the short drive through downtown Camden (about 3 blocks). We've never had any trouble using this route.

If Camden seems too crowded, keep traveling Rt 1 to the small town of Thomaston. We ate at the Thomaston Cafe located right on Rt 1. It was small and quiet and delicious. Then you could walk around the small Main Street and stop at the Maine State Prison Store - interesting place.

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
194 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: From Bar Harbor to Portland in July- Help!

I would also suggest goingon route 1 as well. A few places along the way that has fast and great food would be Moody's Diner in Waldoboro and Red's Eats in Wiscasset.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
123 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: From Bar Harbor to Portland in July- Help!

Red's Eats is awesome, but unfortunately there's nothing quick about it. Expect to wait in line for an hour. I would recommend Samoset Resort in the Rockland area. You can sit out on the patio and look at the beautiful golf course and water. As for traffic, I've taken the route many times and still haven't experienced any.

Southern Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
3,868 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: From Bar Harbor to Portland in July- Help!

I would second the suggestion for Moody's Diner, unless the line is out the door.

If you have no wish to see Thomaston, you can cut across from just below Camden to Warren on route 90 and come back out on Route One.

Depending on the time of day, you may hit a bottleneck in Wiscasset. At least you'll be southbound. Most traffic will be northbound on Friday's.

If you're not hungry until further down your route, we like the Muddy Rudder on Route One in the Freeport/Yarmouth area.

5. Re: From Bar Harbor to Portland in July- Help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2009, 03:19
Get answers to your questions about Bar Harbor