We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Short Hikes

Fanwood, New Jersey
Level Contributor
62 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Short Hikes

We will be staying in downtown Bar Har, Bass Cottage Inn, for a few days starting next Friday the 22nd. We've heard about the shore hike and were wondering if it starts right down by the marina? Also the hike to Bar Island, where does this start exactly?

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
5,912 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Short Hikes

You chose a very nice place to stay. The friendly folks there will be able to answer all your questions. The street right in front of your Inn will lead you to the Shore Path, if you walk through the grounds of the Bar Harbor Inn. It extends from the little park next to the Bar Harbor Inn for about a half mile. Then you can take a connecting path and walk back by way of the village sidewalks. You can also walk in the other direction from that little park, past the Bar Harbor Inn, to the town pier (not really a marina).

The walk to Bar Island, only at low tide, is an extension of Bridge Street. Bridge Street is about a five block walk from your Inn.

Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor
Level Contributor
1,439 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Short Hikes

There's another short walk that's walkable from your inn that you might like. It's called Compass Point and it's located about a mile down Main Street (heading away from the pier). Walk down Main Street, pass the YMCA and the ball fields on your right. In about 1/2 a mile, you'll come to a really small parking area on your left that leads to a fire road. Walk down the gravel fire road until the trail heads off to the left. Follow the trail down to the most beautiful little cove. You can loop around and find the ruins of George Dorr's house (founder of Acadia National Park) and then head back out to the fire road. It's short, but quiet and beautiful. It's not really mentioned in any of the guide books so it's relatively private.

Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor, Acadia National Park
Level Contributor
3,867 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Short Hikes

There are two other short, low-impact hikes that you might enjoy. Both are on the other end of the island--Wonderland and Ship Harbor. It is a beautiful part of the island and well worth the short drive.

Fanwood, New Jersey
Level Contributor
62 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Short Hikes

Thank you all for your great suggestions, we will try to get all these hikes in during our stay, if not we'll just have to return next year.

Ann Arbor, MI
Level Contributor
27 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Short Hikes

I did both Wonderland and Ship Harbor when we were there in July, and I'd agree they are wonderful hikes and I was pleased to get on the other side of the island which seemed less busy. If I could only do one, I'd probably do Ship Harbor because the woods were nicer than what we saw on the Wonderland hike (both hikes give you both woods and shoreline). Both are very easy and can be short, unless you can't resist spending time hopping around on the rocks and peering in tidepools.

Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor, Acadia National Park
Level Contributor
3,867 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Short Hikes

It also is possible to combine the two, i.e., walk out to the end of Wonderland, then walk the bay (no trail) around the point where the Ship Harbor trail comes out to the ocean. It takes some rock-hopping and I definitely would recommend hiking boots. The walk back via the road from the Ship Harbor trail access to thw Wonderland access is less than a half-mile.

7. Re: Short Hikes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2009, 08:16