We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

No Mooses Here - A Trip Report (Day 1)

Virginia
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Topic
No Mooses Here – A Trip Report (Day 1)

I'm late getting started on this promised trip report, so here is the first installment. My wife and I, our 16-year old son and my mom were all trekkers on this trip from July 12th through the 19th.

Saturday, July 12th, 9:30 A.M. - We left from Providence in the morning and took I-93 through Boston. Since it was a Saturday morning there was no traffic congestion going through the city. It was a perfect day to be on the road - sunny, not humid and not too hot. The temp was a perfect 76 degrees by the time we reached the New Hampshire Welcome Center. Since the weather was so great, we decided to take the most direct route to MDI via Bangor rather than take the longer more scenic route. This way we would spend more of our first day on the island instead of on the road. I have to say though that I found I-95 after Belfast to be long, straight and BORING, but it did get us to MDI faster.

We arrived at Edgewater Motel & Cottages around 3pm. They had some late checkouts, so our suite wasn’t immediately ready, so we decided to walk around and check out the grounds. Wow, what a fantastic location this place has right on the cove. As we walked along the rocks on the water’s edge, we heard a haunting tune of a violin. It sounded like the type of music you would expect to hear in the movie “Pirates of the Caribbean.” We followed the notes wafting through the air like children following the Pied Piper. The source of the music was a gentleman sitting under a large shade tree in front of the one of the cottages. After admiring his playing for a while, we then struck up a conversation with him. He told us that he and his family had been coming to that cottage the second two weeks of July every year for something like the past fifteen years. Amazing!

After leaving our minstrel friend, we returned to the main office and then headed over to our suite which was now ready. By the way, the owner Dave was great. He and his wife are very friendly and informative. You can tell by how well the grounds and cottages are maintained that they really care about this place. The Seascape Suite is on the 2nd level in the pic (www.edgewaterbarharbor.com/pics/hay_loft1.jpg). When we entered we couldn’t believe how spacious this place was. I though for sure that the pics on the website were taken with a wide-angle lenses to make the suite look bigger than it really is, but in this case the picture doesn’t lie. This place is HUGE! The king size bed shares a large open space with the living room and kitchen. Right off of this area is the screened in porch overlooking the cove. All I can say is Wow! The porch not only overlooks the cove, but it is almost right on top of it. We hadn’t even checked out the rest of the suite and were already ecstatic with our choice to stay here. We couldn’t wait for Sunday morning to come around so that we could sit our on our porch with our coffee and just enjoy the experience. This place really made us feel like we were having a downeast vacation experience.

Oh yea, I got so caught up in reliving those first feelings when we arrived, that I almost forgot to tell you about the rest of the place. There is a large bathroom with both a clawed foot tub and a separate shower stall. The second and third beds are in another huge room. We found the beds to be very comfortable, not too hard or too soft (the only thing missing was Goldilocks and the three bears). The cool thing about this place is it is like an old farm house or something that has been all fixed up, but still retains much of that same charm. The coolest thing was that there is actually a third floor. The stairwell to this level is blocked off with some white lattice work. We shined a flashlight up there and it was so cool to see a small part of that level. You can still see the original wallpaper, peeling in some places, and a partially opened door to another room. We enjoyed joking that there was a ghost living up there and she looked like the girl in the well from the movie, “The Ring.” Wooooooo! So absolutely cool.

OK, so after getting unpacked and settled in, we headed into downtown Bar Harbor around 5:30pm for our 6pm dinner reservation at Mache Bistro on Cottage Street. This far end of Cottage Street was not crowded and parking was not a problem. We walked around a little bit before heading into the restaurant. I really wanted to sample their Seafood Stew of which so many others have raved about, but it was not to be so. Seafood Stew was not on the menu that night, so we all settled on the Crispy Duck which was excellent. We will definitely try Mache Bistro again and hopefully they will be serving their famous stew.

After a terrific dinner, we drove down Cottage Street toward Main Street where we were greeted by the crowds that were completely absent on the other end of the street. After such a serene introduction to our vacation, the crowds were a little bit overwhelming, so we all agreed to head back to Edgewater, relax and enjoy the downeast accommodations and calm of Salsbury Cove. That evening as we sat on the porch, relaxing and sipping tea, we were treated to a fireworks display from across the water. They appeared to be coming from the direction of Lamoine State Park on the other side of Frenchman’s Bay.

All in all it was a perfect end to a perfect day. We were all tired and headed off to bed. Oh yea, our fictitious ghost was very accommodating and remained quite as we slept.

Thus ended day one, day two to come…

Maine
Level Contributor
857 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: No Mooses Here – A Trip Report (Day 1)

Great report VaTripster! Really enjoyed reading it and felt like I was right there with you!

Looking forward to day two :).

cozyharbor

2. Re: No Mooses Here – A Trip Report (Day 1)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2009, 16:18
Get answers to your questions about Bar Harbor