We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Berry Picking & Wineries

NYC
4 posts
Save Topic
Berry Picking & Wineries

My wife and I, along with our 14 month old daughter, are going to be staying in Bar Harbor September 7 through September 12. Two things that we are interested in doing while in the area are berry picking (blueberry, cranberry...or any kind of edible berry!) and visiting some wineries. I'm willing to travel outside of Mount Desert Island and would appreciate any suggestions that ya'll might have. Thanks in adavnce.

little rock arkansas
Destination Expert
for Little Rock, Arkansas
Level Contributor
3,335 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Berry Picking & Wineries

I was just a tourist to Maine as you will be, but one highlight of our early August trip to the "quiet side" of Mt Desert Island (Southwest Harbor) was pickling wild raspberries and blueberries. We found them both growing everywhere...on the edges of a golf course, in a vacant lot in the center of town, on Acadia trails. The wild blues are tiny but sweet. The rasps are large and like the ones in stores. I have no idea of the growing season but we really enjoyed our picks and got enough to use for breakfasts.

Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor
Level Contributor
1,456 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Berry Picking & Wineries

There is a Sweet Pea Winery here on Mt Desert Island. They are only in their third year or so. They (along with Atlantic Brewery) offer a free shuttle from the Village Green every day at 4:30 that will take you out for a free tour of the brewery and then over to the winery for a tour.

Central Maine
Level Contributor
451 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Berry Picking & Wineries

Most of the wine produced in maine comes from fruit other than grapes. If you are interested in exploring these varieties you certainly could make an interesting day trip.

In Winterport... www.winterportwinery.com (also now making sparkling wine and distilling spirits)

Two in Union...

Sweetgrass Farm (www.sweetgrasswinery.com)...also distilling brandy, rum, gin and makes great vanilla extract and

savageoakes.com

In Gouldsboro is barlettwinery.com

and in Lincilnville is cellar door (www.mainewine.com)

NYC
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Berry Picking & Wineries

Excellent! Thank you to everyone for the recommendations.

5. Re: Berry Picking & Wineries

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2009, 23:16