We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The "CAT Ferry" - Will motion sickness be a problem?

Which Bar Harbor hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ontario
Level Contributor
10 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
The "CAT Ferry" - Will motion sickness be a problem?

I am prone to sea sickness...( went on a Carrabean cruise once and was ill every time the ship left port!!) On our up-coming trip to the Maririmes, this fall, my husband wants to take the CAT ferry to save driving time.

Does anyone have experience or info about whether sea sickness is a common problem... or has the ferry been built to minimize this problem?

Many thnaks,

Bradley, Maine
Level Contributor
685 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The "CAT Ferry" - Will motion sickness be a problem?

Shouldn't be too much of a problem... it's a catamoran that flys at 60 mph, plus you can't go out side. Bring some saltines and some liquor, just to be safe. You' laugh but that's the only way I can ride a sail boat , is to make sure I've got something very light in my stomach and start drinking... maybe it dulls the sickness (vagus) nerve or something...

I don't think its' a problem on the Cat though. As long as it's normal sea's...

Natick...
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The "CAT Ferry" - Will motion sickness be a problem?

I've been on the CAT several times, but have only had one rough trip. My husband and I went over on the Cat last July, and the crossing to NS was quite rough - he got sick (as did many others on board), I didn't (I don't get motion sick). The return crossing was fine.

BTW, there IS a small area at the back of the ship where you can go outside to get some air if you need to. There are a few benches, and the area has railings up. My husband found that being outside did make him feel a little bit better.

I would suggest, if you're prone to seasickness, that you take some Dramamine or something, about a half-hour before you board, just in case. We hadn't brought any with us, the ship's store sold out very early in the voyage, and we ended up buying some in Yarmouth so he'd have it for the return voyage (btw, it's sold under the brand name "Gravol" in Canada.)