We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moose run ?

Which Bar Harbor hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Maine
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Moose run ?

We will be in Bar Harbor the first week of June. Now I realize there are plenty of things to see at Acadia, but I also know this is prime moose viewing season. How far inland would I have to go for a moose viewing ride?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
508 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Moose run ?

I was there last August and had to go to Baxter State Park to find moose. Baxter is at least a 2 hour drive from Bangor. We intended to hike in Baxter, but instead of just looking for moose on our own we took one of the tours with the New England Outdoor Center www.neoc.com Depending on where moose have been sighted, they take you out in a pontoon boat on Lake Millinocket or in a van to get out and hike, usually early in the morning or at dusk. We had a great time. The area around Baxter is pretty remote and doesn't offer a lot of lodging options. The New England Outdoor Center has some pretty decent cabins and chalets, as well as the River Drivers Restaurant. It also offers white water river rafting, fishing and hiking guides, etc. Have a great time looking for moose.

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
5,520 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Moose run ?

Toelle's advice is your best bet. That means about three hours from Bar Harbor for a good chance to see moose.

3. Re: Moose run ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 October 2009, 12:23
Get answers to your questions about Bar Harbor