We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Route 1A Construction and Traffic Delays

Which Bar Harbor hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Lehigh Valley, PA
Level Contributor
911 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Route 1A Construction and Traffic Delays

I've been picking up snippets about construction on 1A between Bangor and Ellsworth. We will be driving into Bar Harbor on 9/10 and we have always taken I-95 to Bangor and then down Rt. 1A.

Is there still construction? Are the delays long? Should we bail off 95 in Augusta and take Rts. 3 and 1? I should add that right now we are just looking for the quickest route and not necessarily the most scenic (we've already driven much of Rt 1 from Kittery to Princeton).

Thanks.

Ed

Hampden, Maine
Level Contributor
122 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Route 1A Construction and Traffic Delays

I think it all depends on what time of day you will be coming through the construction. I travel Route 1A everyday to and from work, from Brewer to Bar Harbor and back.

Generally speaking, we come through the Dedham portion of the construction (a mile or two beyond the Lucerne Inn) around 6:30am. While we rarely have to stop, we do have to slow down to 15-25 mph for this 3.5 mile stretch. Most of this is dirt, although they have started paving the new sections. So, if you're worried about some bumps and a whole lot of dust/mud, you may not want to come through this section.

You will hit construction again in Ellsworth, as they are improving the main intersection at High Street and Main Street, as well as widening part of High Street. This construction has been shifted to being done entirely at night (starting at 7pm) so traffic delays shouldn't be abnormal during the day. I should mention that the High Street section has already been widened and paved once, but the intersection is still torn up.

Overall, for someone who has travelled the Bangor to Bar Harbor route via 1A everyday for 3 years for work, the construction has only slowed us down an average of 10-15 minutes in the morning.

Hope this info helps...

Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor, Acadia National Park
Level Contributor
3,861 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Route 1A Construction and Traffic Delays

1A is still a disaster area and likely will continue so well into next year.

There is a new exit near Augusta that puts you on Rt. 3 without having to go through Augusta. Rts. 3 and 1 from Belfast to MDI are clear, saving a bit of congestion sometimes in Ellsworth.

An alternative is to drive to Bangor, take I-395 to Rt 15 (which is just on the south side of the Penobscot River), and take that south to Bucksport, where you join Rts. 3 and 1. However, there also is construction in Orrington, though not nearly as bad as on 1A. (In fact, this summer, there is <no> MDI-Bangor route that does not have some construction activity.)

Next week we will use the Rt. 15 approach, maybe with one variation to make the MDI-Bangor trip; in October, we probably will use the Rt. 3--Augusta route when we go to Portland.

Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,861 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Route 1A Construction and Traffic Delays

A clarification---what maine-iak said is true---if you come through the construction area early in the morning or late in the evening, it's simply slow-going (and a bit bumpy). However, if you come through during other times (when a lot of other travellers, locals, trucks, etc., are on the road), you can expect delays.

We're not supposed to cite urls in this forum---Maine does have a pretty good road-condition site on the web---googling on "Maine highway conditions" ought to get you there. You might want to check that before committing to either route.

Brunswick, Maine
Level Contributor
2,492 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Route 1A Construction and Traffic Delays

When I go Downeast, I take the new exit in Augusta. It might actually take more time, but I feel like I am getting their quicker. Route 1A tests my patience.

Gorham, Maine
Level Contributor
641 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Route 1A Construction and Traffic Delays

Take the new exit 13 in Augusta and come route 3. Its faster and easier. The previous posts about the construction are right on. Alot depends on the time of day, but just yesterday the delays were horrible. A modular home was being transported along 1-A and it really caused some back-ups. Play it safe and save the potential aggravation, and come via 3. Enjoy your time here in Maine

Lehigh Valley, PA
Level Contributor
911 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Route 1A Construction and Traffic Delays

Thanks all for the updates. I think we will bail onto Rt. 3 in Augusta. Is that new Exit #13? I read somewhere where the exit numbers changed in the past year or so I guess to reflect mileage from the southern border. At least that's what they did here in PA.

Either way, what's the exit I should look for? My Maine atlas is an old one and both Mapquest and Yahoo maps insist that I go to Bangor and down 1A.

Thanks again.

Ed

Bradley, Maine
Level Contributor
685 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Route 1A Construction and Traffic Delays

I'm not sure, which bugs me cause I just drove past there 2 days ago and said to myself... remember that exit number... There is one exit that has an A and a B and I want to say it's the next one after that, but it might be 2. I'm pretty sure it says "Rt. 3" Belfast... but... maybe someone else will know better. Ugh. Sorry PA.

Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,861 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Route 1A Construction and Traffic Delays

RE: the new exit for Rt. 3.

You are correct, all of the exits have been renumbered. It is 113, not 13.

Gorham, Maine
Level Contributor
641 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Route 1A Construction and Traffic Delays

Opps that was a typo, it is Exit #113, sorry for the confusion.

Flemington, NJ
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Route 1A Construction and Traffic Delays

I am too on my way to Bar Harbor next week. So let me get this correct. Take exit 113 off of 95, which will put me directly on Rt 3. Stay on that until I get to Belfast and then pick up Rt 1 North?