We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bar Harbor Inn or Blue Nose Inn for kids?

Washington, D.C.
Level Contributor
229 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Bar Harbor Inn or Blue Nose Inn for kids?

We will be visiting this summer with two children (13, 10) and are looking for kid-friendly accommodations that would perhaps be a bit more upscale than the Bar Harbor Motel or Holiday Inn, both of which I've seen recommended in earlier posts. Both the Bar Harbor Inn and Blue Nose Inn have a pool and rooms with two queen beds, which would work for us. Can anyone advise if those locations welcome kids, or if mine will be the only ones there? Any other recommendations would be appreciated. (We're not interested in renting a house.) Thx much.

Maine
Level Contributor
857 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bar Harbor Inn or Blue Nose Inn for kids?

Hi JetsFan8,

I love the Bar Harbor Inn, though I have to say I've never stayed at the Blue Nose, so that might be just as nice.

In any case, the Bar Harbor Inn is in a great location right on the water and in town. However, even though its in town, it doesn't feel that way once on the property. Its very well designed and landscaped, the pool area is great, there's a path that runs along the water, it has a great restaurant and offers various kinds of accomodations.

I would say the Inn is family friendly. The majority of accomodations in Maine are, with the exception of some Bed and Breakfasts which will usually state adults only or post an age limit. I highly doubt you would be the only family in residence :).

Good luck and let us know what you decide!

cozyharbor

Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor, Acadia National Park
Level Contributor
3,868 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bar Harbor Inn or Blue Nose Inn for kids?

I doubt that your kids would be the only ones there, at either place. Of the two, I think that the Bar Harbor Inn would better suit your needs. As has been noted, it is right on the edge of the village center, has a lot of amenities (including the Shore Path, which all of you might enjoy) and is an easy stroll to the shops, restaurants, boat tours, the Island Explorer shuttle buses to the park and the rest of the island, etc.

The Blue Nose is also a very nice place, but it is not near the village center---it's about a 20-minute walk from the center.

Ohio
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bar Harbor Inn or Blue Nose Inn for kids?

I agree with the previous two opinions. I have been to Bar Harbor many times and always stay at the Bar Harbor Inn for the reasons mentioned. It is in the center of town, yet on the water's edge. You are not a prisoner of the hotel once you arrive. You can get a nice package deal with them and you will have access to town without having to get into the car. The town offers various restaurants and if you get a package, a dinner or two will be included in your package. Their dinners are a great deal with the package because you can order OFF THE MENU without any caveats and you have dinner on the water. They have the nicest dining room and great staff, from my experience. The Blue Nose, from what I have read (never stayed there), is out of town and tends to be an older crowd. In addition, you are a prisoner of the hotel because you must drive to go anywhere. Walking to town along the road is not very safe for a family. I can personally recommend the Bar Harbor Inn.

Washington, D.C.
Level Contributor
229 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bar Harbor Inn or Blue Nose Inn for kids?

Thx much for your help. I'll go with the Bar Harbor Inn.

Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor, Acadia National Park
Level Contributor
3,868 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bar Harbor Inn or Blue Nose Inn for kids?

Just one clarification to BeanOhio's note: there IS a sidewalk (across Eden St. from the Blue Nose)that runs from at least the College of the Atlantic all the way into the village center.

6. Re: Bar Harbor Inn or Blue Nose Inn for kids?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 October 2009, 15:21