We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bar Harbor in November

KEW GARDENS, NY
Level Contributor
155 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Bar Harbor in November

Hello, my birthday is in November and was thinking of staying in Bar Harbor over the weekend. Since this is winter time, is Bar Harbor a sensible place to go during November?-wy=12

Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor, Acadia National Park
Level Contributor
3,893 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bar Harbor in November

I think so, but then, I live here. November here on MDI is not really "winter." In early November, there still are remnants of fall color (although the briliant maple colors are gone). By late November, the days are cool and often windy, but still above freezing. What snow we see in November usually is limited to the tops of the higher mountains. It can be a rainy month---the local saying is that "winter can't come until the ponds are full" and November does its best (most years) to comply.

I enjoy that month because in walks/hikes in the park, enough of the leaves are gone that one can really see the rugged topography.

As November proceeds, more seasonal businesses close, including motels, B&Bs, and restaurants. Also, Acadia National Park may close the Loop Road and the road to the Cadillac summit in mid-to-late November; the actual date depends on the weather and, lately, on the budget. There still is access to much of the park after that, but it takes a little more doing (and sometimes a lot more walking or cycling).

Brunswick, Maine
Level Contributor
2,492 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bar Harbor in November

It's sort of fun to visit Bar Harbor and other tourists meccas when it's NOT high season. After the tourists leave it's like the locals take back their town--if only for a few months until the next summer hits.

The area takes on a new character. You see what real life is like without all the frenetic visitors.

There should still be enough stuff open so it's not a ghost town, and you can find great parking when you go out to eat, go shoppng, etc. You might also find some terrific rates on B&Bs that would cost an arm and a leg in the summer.

As long as you realize some things will be closed, I think you'll enjoy your off-season birthday visit.

It could snow in late November. I remember one Thankgiving blizzard (12 inches).

Gorham, Maine
Level Contributor
643 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bar Harbor in November

Many things will be closed at that time of year. If it were me I would make another choice. If I lived in NY, I might take a look at Cape May, NJ or head further south, but thats just me.

Bradley, Maine
Level Contributor
685 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bar Harbor in November

IMO, Bar Harbor is great in November. For all the reasons the cwv posted. (Of course, I usually avoid it bt july 4 and labor day, )

It will not be the same "vacation"spot that most are used to in the summer, but in MANY ways I prefer it. It will be a nice quiet, relaxing getaway.

You'll be able to find some accomodations. Just call them personnally.

Most of the "tourist" (i.e. expensive, high class) places will close by then. But many of the shops are staying open till around christmas time. It will also be easier to hang with the locals. Take a drive to downtown ellsworth and shop there one day too, they'll all be open.

Get answers to your questions about Bar Harbor