We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary ideas for anniversary

Atlanta
6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Itinerary ideas for anniversary

We just decided to head to Maine for 5 days in September to celebrate our anniversary. Fly into Portland on 9/8 and out of Portland on 9/14 (in the afternoon). We like hiking, biking, and kayaking. Based on the time of year, need suggestions on whether we should divide our time between Boothbay, Camden and Acadia or just head to Acadia and spend all 5 days there. Also, feel free to give any specific suggestions of "must sees" or "must do's" in 5 days.

Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor
Level Contributor
1,461 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary ideas for anniversary

I would vote to spend maybe a day or two in Camden or Rockland and the rest of your time in Bar Harbor. I haven't spend any significant time in Boothbay which is why it's not on my list.

Must do's include driving the Park Loop Road (to include eating lunch or at least popovers at Jordan Pond House). Depending on how active you are, biking around the carriage roads in September is lovely and not crowded at all. Nice walks include the Shore Path in Bar Harbor and the Wonderland Trail down near Bass Harbor that could also include a trip to the Bass Harbor Head Lighthouse.

There's lots more must do's. I suggest that you scroll down the forum and read some other responses and trip reports. There's been lots of informative answers to your question in the past couple months.

Wash D.C.
Level Contributor
212 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary ideas for anniversary

Given its only 5 days, I would go Boothbay/Camden from Portland, spend the night and then head to Acadia. You will be in hiking/biking/kayaking heaven on MDI. You could easily spend most of the days doing any one of those acitivities. You can rent bikes in BH for the carriage trails, you can spend days hiking (what I do), and get half day or full day kayaking tours out of BH, SWH, Bass Harbor. September is the best month to go (weather is still nice, less crowds).

3. Re: Itinerary ideas for anniversary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 January 2010, 06:16
Get answers to your questions about Bar Harbor