We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Portland or Freeport

Which Bar Harbor hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Voorhees NJ
Level Contributor
20 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Portland or Freeport

My husband and I are traveling up the coast from Boston end of September. We are staying one night in Camden, and two nights in Bar Harbor. We were going to stay in Freeport the first night, but someone suggested Portland instead. Would anyone like to weigh in?

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
5,516 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Portland or Freeport

Staying in Portland would be more expensive unless you are willing to stay out at a chain motel near the airport. The hotels in the Old Port area are all $200+. You would have a better choice of good restaurants in Portland. You would be near the water although it is a working port rather than oceanfront.

Freeport is mostly an outlet village. But it is a walkable town, with older buildings and sidewalks. There are two or three decent restaurants. There is L.L. Bean's beautiful flagship store, complete with fish tank, stuffed moose, etc. That store is open 24 hours a day. There is a good choice of B$Bs, motels, and a fairly nice hotel in Freeport.

It's just a matter of what you think you might like to do that evening. You could see the sights of Portland on your way through and then spend the night in Freeport. Or you could spend the night in Portland and make a stop in Freeport the next morning on your way up to Camden.

Maine, USA
Level Contributor
1,566 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Portland or Freeport

It is true you would have many more choices of a restaurant in Portland, but remember, yo will only end up eating in one place wherever you stay.

In Freeport Azure Cafe has great northern Italian cuisine, Conundrum has delicious food and a great wine list, and Gritty McDuff's is a fun place for a burger and a beer. Both places are fun to walk around. Portland has a great waterfront. Downtown Freeport is not on the water, although South Freeport is a short drive (~5 mi.) away and has great seafood overlooking the harbor.

Maine
Level Contributor
1,181 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Portland or Freeport

I agree with all that was said by other posters. In addition hotels in the old port of Portland have been having some trouble with noise...so you pay alot and also run a higher risk of a bad's nights sleep. They are working on it. The other option is the stay in Brunswick which has a lovely Bed and Breakfast in town and you could eat there or in Freeport which is @ 15 mintues away. This B&B is known for it breakfasts...

http://www.brunswickbnb.com/

and there are several good restaurants in town includign Back Street Bistro, Clementine;s, Great Impasta and MJ's. All in a small town atmosphere, fewer tourists than Freeport and within walking distance. And you could still see Freeport on way by.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
237 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Portland or Freeport

Portland gets my vote. It's fun walking around the Old Port and there are lots of restaurants to choose from. You can take a cruise, visit the Portland Head Light (I think that's the name of Portland's lighthouse), window shop ....

If you like outlet shopping, then Freeport might be better.

Peoria, IL
Level Contributor
17 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Portland or Freeport

My husband and I are also traveling from Boston to Bar Harbor at the end of September. I, too, was playing the Portland or Freeport game. Room rates are very high in Portland and we're not THAT into the outlet shopping, where Freeport rates were $150 per night. Afterall, it's one night, and then we're moving on to Vinalhaven the next morning. So we've decided to skip Freeport AND Portland and we just made reservations at the Black Lantern Inn in Topsham, right next to Brunswick. Our first night in Maine, we'll be seeing the scenery, eating the lobster and getting a good night's rest at a lot better rate than either Freeport or Portland. How wrong could it possibly be?

6. Re: Portland or Freeport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 February 2010, 05:18
Get answers to your questions about Bar Harbor