We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to get from Bar Harbor to Portland (or Boston) car-less!

Which Bar Harbor hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
akg
Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
37 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
How to get from Bar Harbor to Portland (or Boston) car-less!

Hi

I'm trying to figure out how to get from Nova Scotia to Boston on the 29th or 30th of September. I've found out that I can get a ferry from Yarmouth to Bar Harbor, and I can see that it is possible to get from Portland to Boston, but can't quite figure out how one gets from Bar Harbor to Portland without a car... is it possible?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,109 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to get from Bar Harbor to Portland (or Boston) car-less!

I see that Concord Trailways no longer has bus service, and the Ferry from Yarmouth to Portland doesn't run on those days.

I think that you would have to take Bar harbor shuttle into Bangor or Ellsworth, and then take the Greyhound bus to Portland? Also there are flights from Bar Harbor to Boston but they run about $225.

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,695 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How to get from Bar Harbor to Portland (or Boston) car-less!

Not sure where Joesource got his info that Concord Trailways no longer serves Bangor....hadn't heard that...

Their website (I found it by doing a Google of Concord Bus Maine), shows four trips a day from Bangor to Boston....

And another Google of BarHarborShuttle showed info on a shuttle bus between Bar Harbor and Bangor which clearly states it connect to the Concord Trailways terminal. Looks like you can get there from here after all....

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,109 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How to get from Bar Harbor to Portland (or Boston) car-less!

sorry, not Concord...it is VermontTransit.com that used to have bus service into Bar Harbor and no longer does.

Maine
Level Contributor
830 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How to get from Bar Harbor to Portland (or Boston) car-less!

"can't quite figure out how one gets from Bar Harbor to Portland without a car... is it possible?"

If you have any fexibility around leaving Nova Scotia, the ferry runs directly from Yarmouth to Portland on Thursday, Friday and Sunday.

5. Re: How to get from Bar Harbor to Portland (or Boston) car-less!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 March 2010, 05:21