We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

open for business in first week of January 2010?

Ohio
Level Contributor
3 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
open for business in first week of January 2010?

We have been to Bar Harbor twice in the fall and loved it, and want to see it in the winter. We like to hike and have tried cross country skiing before, and wonder what hotels and restaurants are open or if any rentals are available for 3 to 4 days the first week of Jan. 2010. Saw the posts from 2007 but not sure if any of those places listed will still be open.

Highbrook Motel
Highbrook Motel
#1 of 42 hotels in Bar Harbor
Edgewater Motel & Cottages
Edgewater Motel & Cottages
#2 of 42 hotels in Bar Harbor
The Bayview
The Bayview
#3 of 42 hotels in Bar Harbor
Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor
Level Contributor
1,508 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: open for business in first week of January 2010?

There are several places that remain open all year. Here in Bar Harbor, McKay's, Geddy's, Thirsty Whale, Town Hill Bistro, Mache Bistro, and Jack Russell's will be open. Aysgarth Station, Canterbury Cottage, Saltair, Graycote Inn, Coach Stop Inn, and Atlantic Oceanside Resort will be open. I don't know of any rentals.

Check out www.sleepbarharbor.com for a complete list of bed and breakfasts that remain open all year. You can also check their availability and link to their websites from here.

Mentioned in this post
Bar Harbor
Bar Harbor
Mount Desert Island, ME
The Thirsty Whale Tavern
The Thirsty Whale Tavern
1,694 Reviews
Mount Desert Island, ME
Mache Bistro
Mache Bistro
678 Reviews
Mount Desert Island, ME
Coach Stop Inn Bed and Breakfast
Coach Stop Inn Bed and...
538 Reviews
Mount Desert Island, ME
Bass Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
248 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: open for business in first week of January 2010?

Try the local Chambers of Commerce (barharborinfo.com or acadiachamber.com) or acadiamagic.com. They will have listings for year-round lodging, including vacation rentals. Have a great time - the winter is lovely.

Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor, Acadia National Park
Level Contributor
3,912 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: open for business in first week of January 2010?

Guiness & Porcelli, an Italian restaurant will also be open this winter. Many of the restaurants go to five-day or shorter schedules in the winter. Also, most places close down for vacation at one time or another. It is best to keep track via their web sites, or if you stay at a B&B, the owners should have the current information.

Those whose reduced winter schedule that I have seen so far are:

Mache Bistro, Tuesday through Saturday; Town Hill Bistro, Tuesday through Saturday; Red Sky (Southwest Harbor), Friday through Sunday; Guiness & Porcelli, Thursday through Monday.

The biggest challenge may be finding a place to eat breakfast, other than at a bakery or coffee shop. For that reason, a B&B might be the best bet, unless you find a rental and do your own cooking.

Mentioned in this post
Mache Bistro
Mache Bistro
678 Reviews
Mount Desert Island, ME
Red Sky
Red Sky
493 Reviews
Mount Desert Island, ME
Southwest Harbor
Southwest Harbor
Mount Desert Island, ME
Central Maine
Level Contributor
451 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: open for business in first week of January 2010?

Some of the Carriage Roads are groomed for X-Country skis. Also, "hiking" the Carriage Roads w/ Snowshoes is great. Check w/ the Park Service for info on specific trail accessibility.

Mentioned in this post
Carriage Roads
Carriage Roads
462 Reviews
Mount Desert Island, ME
Ohio
Level Contributor
3 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: open for business in first week of January 2010?

Thanks for the helpful info. Checked to see who has availability and it looks like we may be booking at Quimby Inn. We had driven past it in our of our fall trips so we know it is near to town. Glad to hear Thirst Whale, Geddy's and Jack Russell are open, we've been to all of those on our previous visits and enjoyed them all. Will have my camera ready to see the different naturescapes in winter, hope there is at least a little snow!

Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,912 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: open for business in first week of January 2010?

We have snow now (a light dusting last night put a new face on it) and every indication is that we will still have snow when you are here.

The Quimby is on Cottage Street, about two blocks toward the village center from Eden Street (Rt. 3). It also is about a block from Mache Bistro, which you ought to try one evening.

If you are interested, my photos of naturescapes of the island in various seasons are at:

http://tinyurl.com/2w873s

Mentioned in this post
Mache Bistro
Mache Bistro
678 Reviews
Mount Desert Island, ME
Ohio
Level Contributor
3 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: open for business in first week of January 2010?

Is there a place to rent snowshoes or get a lesson? We've done cross country skiing here in Ohio but we would like to try the snowshoes, sounds like fun. Are the trails open for hiking now too?

Mentioned in this post
Ohio
Ohio
United States
Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,912 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: open for business in first week of January 2010?

Cadillac Mountain Sports, on Cottage Street rents XC skis, so I'm sure they will rent you snowshoes and give you some tips on how to use them. Using them is somewhat like using skis---you keep one on each side and your mind in the middle. ;-)

Mentioned in this post
Cadillac Mountain
Cadillac Mountain
2,738 Reviews
Mount Desert Island, ME
Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,912 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: open for business in first week of January 2010?

RE: snowshoes

I just called and confirmed that Cadillac Mountain Sports does rent snowshoes. I think that you will find them very helpful.

Mentioned in this post
Cadillac Mountain
Cadillac Mountain
2,738 Reviews
Mount Desert Island, ME
Bar Harbor
Level Contributor
158 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: open for business in first week of January 2010?

As it stands now, there really is not enough snow for cross country skiing or snow shoeing...we had a lot of rain yesterday and it was fairly warm, so unless we get some more snow cover, you will have to count on doing outdoor activities that do not need snow...