We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bar Harbor in late May/early June

Nashville
Level Contributor
1,095 posts
79 reviews
Save Topic
Bar Harbor in late May/early June

I will also post this on the Boston Forum. Our family is considering a trip to New England in the spring of 2011. It will be our last trip before our oldest child leave for college. We will have a week and would like to focus on 2 areas. We are thinking about flying into the Boston area, (we can get an a.m. flight and land by noon) and head toward Bar Harbor. We would like to spend 2-3 nights there and then head back to Boston for 3 nights.

My wife and I visited Bar Harbor in the early 1990's, but we were easier to please.

Is whale watching available during the first week of June? What other activities in Bar Harbor would you suggest for a family with 2 older teens?

Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor
Level Contributor
1,456 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bar Harbor in late May/early June

Whale watching will be available in the beginning of June. I'd also recommend kayaking. Most companies take you out in tandem kayaks (2 people per boat) that are very safe and easy to operate. Aquaterra is a great company that kayaks out around the Porcupine Islands right off the pier in Bar Harbor and National Park Kayak is another company that focuses on the west side of the island. Both offer great guided tours.

Hiking is also a great family activity. There are trails of all fitness levels. Some easier, but fun trails are Flying Mountain or Great Head Trail. Moderate trails include Gorham Mountain and Acadia Mountain. Go to www.acadiamagic.com to read about all these and more.

Improvacadia might be a great evening thing for your family.

New York, New York
Level Contributor
218 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Bar Harbor in late May/early June

My 18-year-old daughter invited two friends to MDI last summer. They loved their hike up Acadia Mountain followed by swimming in Echo Lake. Sand Beach is another option after a hike on the eastern side of the island. I agree with the other post that Aquaterra out of Bar Harbor runs great kayaking trips, but I think I like the excursions offered by Maine State Kayak on the quiet side even better. The girls also enjoyed their independence taking the Island Explorer bus around by themselves. They shopped in Bar Harbor and took great photos of themselves on the bridge in Somesville. One of the girls said her favorite thing was eating popovers at Jordan Pond House! In the past my daughter has also done rock climbing with Acadia Mountain Guides. See the site below for more detail on some of these kayak excursions and guides:

www.ouracadia.com/outfitters.php?pg_id=3

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
30,098 posts
442 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bar Harbor in late May/early June

Hey tntands,

You will enjoy Bar Harbor. If you have time go down the coast to Mt. Battie at Camden. Great views!! While in Bar Harbor if you decide to stay at the Bar Harbor Inn on the waterfront beware. The main building is nice but the outlying buildings are very old and outdated. We would never stay there again in one of those buildings. We enjoyed eating lobster at Galyn's and at the Bar Harbor Inn restaurant. Enjoy those vacations with your kids. Our youngest graduates from college in May and is going to law school. He does not want to vacation with mom and dad anymore. Enjoy your trip planning and your vacation.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
30,098 posts
442 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bar Harbor in late May/early June

Also- when we came to New England this fall I compared air fare and car rental rates between Manchester, NH, Boston and Portland. I found I got the best rates- $200 per person plus tax for airfare and car rental ($160 per week) out of Manchester, NH.

Nashville
Level Contributor
1,095 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bar Harbor in late May/early June

Thanks for the advice CeCe. When my wife and I were there in 92, we stayed at Atlantic Oakes by the Sea. With the ages of our kids, I would love to find someplace that has suites with either 3 beds or 2 beds and a sleeper sofa. I found one place called Atlantic Eyrie Hotel that has a 2 bed + sofa bed suites with good AAA rates. It gets good reviews on TA.

We are having another "snow day" in Nashville, but temps are rising and the roads are starting to clear.

6. Re: Bar Harbor in late May/early June

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 August 2010, 07:16