We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anniversary Dinner

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
77 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Anniversary Dinner

Hello.

My husband and I will be celebrating our anniversary while we're in Bar Harbor for a week in August. I have looked through the restaurant reviews, but didn't see a clear choice for us. We will have our three daughters with us- one tween and two teens. We like interesting places (funky decor, menu with fresh, local ingredients, good view, live music or some other memorable aspect). We have one vegetarian. It doesn't have to be fancy, but it could be. But not stuffy. :) If anyone has any suggestions, I would love to be pointed in some direction.

Thanks!

Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor
Level Contributor
1,456 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anniversary Dinner

I would recommend Cafe This Way for a casual, eclectic, and funky experience. I also like McKay's and Town Hill Bistro. All three are casual but nice meals.

For something fancier, I would suggest dinner at the Bar Harbor Club. The dining room has fabulous views of the bay, gourmet dinner, and a piano player.

Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor, Acadia National Park
Level Contributor
3,886 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anniversary Dinner

From what you describe, I would agree that Cafe This Way might fill the bill, as would Town Hill Bistro and Mache Bistro. It's tough, however to find the sort of restaurant you would like that also has a view and/or entertainment.

http://www.townhillbistro.com

http://www.machebistro.com

The Bar Harbor Club dining room:

http://www.barharborclub.com/dining.html

is excellent, also $$$$.

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
6,309 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anniversary Dinner

For what it is worth, I totally agree with what our two Destination Experts have suggested. Personally, I go to the Bar Harbor Club Dining Room for my birthday.

Central Maine
Level Contributor
451 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Anniversary Dinner

Also consider Havana. Does not have views but fits your funky decor and fresh/local criteria. A fun "nightclub" atmosphere and celebratory feeling. Vegetarian options might be a sticking point though.

www.havanamaine.com/index_BH.html

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
77 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Anniversary Dinner

Thanks for all the suggestions. They are very helpful!

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
30,098 posts
442 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Anniversary Dinner

Last fall we ate at the Bar Harbor dining room for our anniversary and my husband's birthday. Very good food and awesome views of the harbor.

Wash D.C.
Level Contributor
210 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Anniversary Dinner

If you are open to driving a short distance, I suggest Red Sky in SW Harbor. It has become our go-to place when we want to get away from the kids for a nice romantic meal.

Lehigh Valley, PA
Level Contributor
943 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Anniversary Dinner

Good recommendations all. My wife and I went vegetarian for a year. We found several interesting/good choices at Cafe This Way. We also had good vegetarian fare at Red Sky and Town Hill Bistro.

I wrote a review at the time. See tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60709-i381-k20818…

Alas, several of the places are no longer there foremost Eden which closed last year and Poncho Villa's which just closed a week or two ago, if I understand correctly. Michelle's Brown bag is gone. Geez we're gonna miss that place. And last year, Two Cats bounced back with some great breakfasts and service so I back off on my criticism from two years ago.

Edited: 19 March 2010, 20:32
9. Re: Anniversary Dinner

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 September 2010, 05:17