We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can you give me suggestions on what I must see while n Maine

Loveland, Ohio
5 posts
Save Topic
Can you give me suggestions on what I must see while n Maine

Hi- i am so excited to find tripadvisor. We are spending a week in Maine Sept - 18-25. We will be flying into Manchester and driving up. I was hoping to get some suggestions on things to see and places to stay. I know we want to see Bar Harbor and Acadia but other than that we don't know what to do to best take in Maine. We love the outdoors, scenery and wildlife. This is our first trip to the east coast so it is all very new. Thanks in advance for any suggestions. Maybe even a top ten of things you must see while visiting Maine.

Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor
Level Contributor
1,458 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can you give me suggestions on what I must see while n Maine

There are several posts in this forum that answer this question in a variety of ways. I would suggest that you review the "Things To Do" section of the Bar Harbor and Acadia pages of Trip Adviser and read over the forum posts to get an idea of the top things to do and then post your specific questions. Everyone's top ten things is different depending on the types of activities you enjoy doing.

Loveland, Ohio
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Can you give me suggestions on what I must see while n Maine

Thank you for the response. I will look through the posts as suggested.

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,864 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can you give me suggestions on what I must see while n Maine

For a quick look at things to do in the greater Portland, ME area, check out:

http://www.visitportland.com/default.aspx

Click on the "Visitors" drop-down and browse around....

A quick Maine-101 might include:

Southern Maine Coast -- Kittery to Portland - the majority of Maine's sandy ocean beaches are in this area. It's the most developed, most commercial section of the coast but is also home to some interesting small villages like Ogunquit, Kennebunk and Kennebunkport.

Greater Portland is Maine's largest metropolitan area -- but still small by most standards. it's Old Port District is a redeveloped warehouse area with great shops, bistros, "watering holes" and some fantastic restaurants along it's brick and cobblestone sidewalks. Some great sightseeing opportunities around Portland as well.

North of Portland but still on the Coast -- the coastal town of Freeport is home to outdoor and sporting goods giant L.L. Bean, which has a multi-store complex in the heart of the business district. But it also has a great, quiet State Park and a nice eatery overlooking the smallish harbor.

From Rockland to Belfast is the Mid-Coast -- lots of small coastal communities, not along US Rt 1, but on various state routes which carry traffic down the various penninsulas. A few sand beaches here, but the seashore has started to transition to the "rockbound coast" with small stone and gravel beaches.

Ellsworth to Calais is "downeast" Maine -- lightly developed and far less commercial (with correspondingly fewere ammenities) than the rest of the coast.

Ellsworth is also the gateway to Bar Harbor and Acadia National Park -- a destination unto itself. CW has already given you some advice about finding activities in that area.

Central Maine generally describes the area from Lewiston-Auburn northeast through Augusta and Waterville -- some fair-sized communities here with outdoor interests centering on river-lake-pond related activities.

North of a line between Farmington, Skowhegan and Bangor, the population thins and the Maine woods begins -- activities around Greenville focus on Moosehead Lake; the Jackman-Bingham area is the center of Maine's white-water rafting industry; and Millinocket is the closest place of any size to Baxter State Park -- great hiking but with restrictions to guard against overuse (their own website has more info).

Maine's Western Mountains encompasses the area north and west of Farmington, including Rangeley, Bethel and Bridgton -- lots of outdoor activities, some great hiking, and generally less crowded than coastal areas.

Extreme Northern Maine - Aroostook County -- is considered a unique part of Maine where the forest-products indusrry and potato farming abound. It's scenery is different from most of the rest of the state.

I know there's not much here specific enough to really make any finite plans, but thought an overview might help you. In addition to scanning the general Maine Forum for past postings, you can also check out the individual forums for most of the above areas by using the drop-down box at the top of the Maine Forums page.

September 18-25 will put you just before, or at the very beginning of, Maine's fall foliage season -- meaning that lodging accommodations in the northern sections of the state (and the Western Mountains) are already starting to get booked up. I'd make those reservations as soon as you have an idea of where you want to be (if you include that part of the state at all).

New York, New York
Level Contributor
218 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Can you give me suggestions on what I must see while n Maine

For your convenience, here is a list of the TOP TEN things to do when visiting Acadia National Park. It ranges from tips on where to eat to program/trip ideas.

http://ouracadia.com/blog/?p=19

Loveland, Ohio
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Can you give me suggestions on what I must see while n Maine

Thank you. This gives me some ideas on things to look into. It is helpful to have advice from people who know the area. Although it is general info, it will help me look into they types of things we like to do. I am so excited to finally be going to Maine.

Loveland, Ohio
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Can you give me suggestions on what I must see while n Maine

Perfect. I know this is one place we will definitely be going to on our visit to Maine. We will be getting together to review the top ten. Thank you!

7. Re: Can you give me suggestions on what I must see while n Maine

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 December 2010, 05:18
Get answers to your questions about Bar Harbor