We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please help us plan our DREAM VACATION!

Which Bar Harbor hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Gaithersburg...
Level Contributor
235 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Please help us plan our DREAM VACATION!

My husband and I, and our 13-year old daughter will be arriving in Bar Harbor/Acadia on the afternoon of August 4 after having spent 2-3 days in Boston. We are looking for a hotel for 3 nights. Something nice in a pretty area close to downtown or out by Frenchman Bay. But hoping not to exceed $200/night. I would greatly appreciate any lodging suggestions.

Additionally, would love suggestions for "must-do, must-see" activities." We will only have Thursday, Friday, and half of Saturday to cram in as much as possible! We want to see as much of the natural beauty as possible and also would love to kayak on some FLAT water if available. Mostly we are looking for experiences for our whole family that we will never forget

Thanks again for any help!

Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor
Level Contributor
1,421 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please help us plan our DREAM VACATION!

If you want something on the water and under $200 a night, you'll want to look at the hotels just outside of downtown Bar Harbor like the Atlantic Oceanside Resort or Bar Harbor Regency. I recently went swimming over at the Regency and it was really nice.

Most of the guided kayak tours go out on the Bay or the ocean which is not flat but neither is it very rough. Depending on the weather, you could have very calm waters for kayaking. Most go out in tandem kayaks which are safer for beginners. Look into Aquaterra and National Park Kayak.

Visit acadiamagic.com for ideas. It's a great website for activities around Acadia.

Grafton, Ohio
Level Contributor
6 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Please help us plan our DREAM VACATION!

We did this with a 13 year old:

"Swim " at Sand Beach...water is cold!

Hike the Head or Headland trail - look for whales.

Go whale watching.

Learn about Lobsters at Lobsterarium.

Diver Ed boat trip. He can be a bit too immature for 13 year olds...but fun.

Top of Cadillac Mountain - just don't watch while your teen scrambles wildly on the rocks. Wild blueberries will be ripe; there are tiny bushes on top. Watch the sunset half way down the mountain. Stay for the afterglow. No way will a 13 year old be awake early enough to see sunrise.

Bike around Eagle Lake

Play Pirate Cove miniature golf

Search the tide pools at Otter Point at low tide

Try a sample of lobster ice cream at shop is Bar Harbor

New York, New York
Level Contributor
218 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Please help us plan our DREAM VACATION!

My dream vacations always include great food. Lobster, blueberry pie, seafood chowder, steamed clams, fresh crabmeat rolls -- Bar Harbor offers a great vacation for foodies. In addition to seafood, you'll find creative chefs experimenting with lots of other local ingredients (goat cheese) and produce. Afterwards, you can work it all off biking, hiking, kayaking, or even tackling a family rock climb! The details at this link may be helpful for choosing where to eat:

www.ouracadia.com/restaurants.php?pg_id=4

4. Re: Please help us plan our DREAM VACATION!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 January 2011, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Bar Harbor