We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Splurge Restaurants

Which Bar Harbor hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
College Station...
Level Contributor
306 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Splurge Restaurants

What are the "splurge" type restaurants in and around BH? Looking for restaurants for a special night out. What are your favorites as to food, service, atmosphere........thanks!

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
5,651 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Splurge Restaurants

Best food: Town Hill Bistro, in the center of the island in Town Hill. Mache Bistro, on Cottage Street in Bar Harbor. Red Sky, in the village of Southwest Harbor, about 15 minutes drive from Bar Harbor.

There are not a lot of white tablecloth restaurants in the area. But the atmosphere is sort of fancy at Red Sky, Michelle's (don't know if that will open this year or not), La Bella Vita in the Harborside Hotel, The Dining Room at the Bar Harbor Inn.

Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor, Acadia National Park
Level Contributor
3,853 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Splurge Restaurants

Unfortunately, probably the two best "special occasion" places are gone. The dining room at the Bar Harbor Club definitely is gone, Michelle's is on the market and I haven't seen any recent news about whether it will reopen this year or not. Word has it that a new fine-dining restaurant will open at Bass Cottage but I haven't seen a menu or heard much more than that.

Given all that, I would agree with bonniemaev about the top three in terms of best food. The Reading Room at the Bar Harbor Inn is a classic high-end restuarant that has been here forever; however, I believe that Town Hill Bistro, Mache Bistro, and Red Sky are better in terms of overall quality and diversity of menu.

Limerick...
Level Contributor
1,484 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Splurge Restaurants

How about Havana.

Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor, Acadia National Park
Level Contributor
3,853 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Splurge Restaurants

Havana is a decent place but in my opinion and given my taste in food, ranks a llttle below the three I mentioned above.

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
5,651 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Splurge Restaurants

If this means anything to you, The President and Michelle enjoyed Havana's last year. It was very likely chosen, from a list, by the Secret Service because it was easier to secure than some, being at the edge of the village. Red Sky was also on the short list. Not sure who else.

Mechanicsville...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Splurge Restaurants

I think Havana is a great splurge restaurant. The waiters are dressed in white collared shirts and black pants, gourmet food, and elegant dining room. I'd also agree that the Reading Room is very nice. The atmosphere is very formal and beautiful with awesome views of the Harbor but I would agree that the food is better at Town Hill Bistro and Mache Bistro. The food is excellent but the atmosphere is more casual.

7. Re: Splurge Restaurants

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 October 2012, 09:18
Get answers to your questions about Bar Harbor