We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to Camp?

Which Bar Harbor hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Onaping, Canada
Level Contributor
163 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Where to Camp?

I will be in Bar Harbor August.11-13th with my husband and our 2 boys aged 4 and 2. We plan to camp while we are there, but i am not sure where to stay. I have read a few places but its hard to tell if they are any good. Gray Homestead , KOA campground ( a bit over priced) and Hadley's Point. Has any one been to any of these places? If so could let me know about them? Are there any other places to camp in the area that may be better? It must have flush toilets and showers. We would perfer not to be more than 30 mins away from Acadia National Park.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,109 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to Camp?

Check out Timberland Acres in nearby Trenton.

Onaping, Canada
Level Contributor
163 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to Camp?

I checked out Timberland It looks nice, I looked at a few other places and Mt. Desert Campground and Bar Harbor campground both look nice. Has anyone been to either of these places? I have small children and will be 7 months pregnant so we don't want to go very rustic with this trip.

Northern NJ
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to Camp?

We've stayed at the KOA and Mt. Desert campground and there are big differences between the 2. The KOA is pretty commercial- great bathrooms, access to a pool (down the road) lots of activities for the kiddies, etc. Easy to camp there!

However... Mt. Desert campground is beautiful. What they lack in the activity department, they surely make up for in rustic charm and beauty. Some of the sites are far from the road, so that might be difficult with the kids and pregnancy.

No matter what you decide, try to get an oceanfront site! You won't regret it.

(PS- Been to Gray's too. Too far, IMO. Stay on the island so you are close to everything!)

Northern NJ
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to Camp?

BTW- Mt. Desert has showers/toilets too. My brother and I used to go "crabbing" there on the docks. Super fun!

Onaping, Canada
Level Contributor
163 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to Camp?

Baxter01: Thank-you for all your information, It defiently helps us out.

All the campgrounds seem to be around $30 a night for tenting but when i checked out KOA, it said it was almost $60 a night, is this right? Does Mt. Desert have a play ground or swimming pool? Most importantly will we beable to get a tenting site that is close to the bathrooms at KOA, Mt. Desert or Bar Harbor campgrounds? As i will be 7 months pregnant i could see being close to a bathroom very convenient. All the information that i can recieve on this topic will be greatly appreciated.

Northern NJ
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to Camp?

Yes. The KOA is more expensive because they offer more facilities. There are 2 KOA's within a mile of each other-- there is not a pool at the oceanfront one, but there is one at the other. You can drive there and have access.

At the KOA there are tent sites close to the bathrooms, but you should ask to be placed near them, just in case. No pool at Mt Desert.

Hated BH campground. Dumpy. Mt Desert and KOA don't compare!

Onaping, Canada
Level Contributor
163 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to Camp?

Baxter01 Thanks again. you said Mt. Desert and KOA don't compare. do you mean to each other or to Bar Harbor campgrounds. We have decided to camp to cut costs for a few nights (and to have fun with the kids) but if we were to pay $60 to tent i feel like we might as well just stay in a motel. So i think we will go with Mt. Desert.

Northern NJ
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to Camp?

I meant that Bar Harbor campground stinks compares to the other 2. You won't be disappointed with MD campground...but remember to ask about specific sites that don't have a long walk from the road to the actual site. Have a great time- jealous!

Onaping, Canada
Level Contributor
163 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to Camp?

I will definitely ask to be close to the road and the bathroom . Thank-you for all your help. I really Appreciate it.

10. Re: Where to Camp?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 October 2012, 21:18