We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with hotel in Bar Harbor

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
653 posts
64 reviews
Save Topic
Help with hotel in Bar Harbor

I have been researching hotels in Bar Harbor and, as usual, reviews are mixed. Is there anyone that can tell me about the Holiday Inn Sunspree (Regency??). The reviews are mixed and is it worth an oceanside view? I was also looking at the Bluenose. I am looking at mid July and I know I am late on reserving...but there are still rooms available and I just am confused on what is best.

Also, I would like to be able to walk into Bar Harbor and the Holiday in says it is about a mile.

Any help would be appreciated.

Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor
Level Contributor
1,453 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with hotel in Bar Harbor

It's about a mile from the Holiday Inn to the edge of the downtown area. So add another 1/2 mile to get to Main Street where all the shopping, dining, and touring is located. There is a free shuttle that runs down to the Village Green that you can use. The Bluenose is a little closer but not really a walk that I would want to do too many times. Both are nice hotels right on the water. Both have restaurants located on the premises (although the Looking Glass at the Bluenose is very pricey).

Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor, Acadia National Park
Level Contributor
3,871 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with hotel in Bar Harbor

Ummm. A couple of corrections. The Bluenose is not on the water (although you can see it from there)---it is across Eden Street (Rte. 3) from the College of the Atlantic campus. The Looking Glass is in the old Rinehart Dining Pavilion, just above the Wonderview motel and suites---a short walk from the Bluenose. The views from the Looking Glass are great.

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
6,066 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with hotel in Bar Harbor

The Bluenose has that nice view because it is high on a bluff. It's up that hill that I wouldn't want to walk too often. Have you looked at the Bayview? http://www.thebayviewbarharbor.com/

It gets good reviews and about a half mile closer to town than the Regency. It is right down on the water, rather than across the street and high on the hill.

The Regency is a bit dated, although the Obamas stayed there last summer. Rumor is they totally remodeled two suites for the Obamas, right down to regrouting the shower. The reason it was chosen for their stay is because it has a flat roof, which could have been used for a helicopter in case of emergency. And there is enough room there to dedicate a floor to computers and Secret Service. The Press stayed at the Bluenose during the Obama visit.

Edited: 14 May 2011, 14:21
Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
653 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with hotel in Bar Harbor

Thanks for the replies. I looked at the BayView but their prices were much higher.

Why is the does the Holiday Inn seem to have 2 names...Holiday Inn Sunspree and Regency? I was looking at a walking distance since it seems hard to park in Bar Harbor and the Shuttle sounds hard to get.

Also, the reason for looking at the Bluenose was for the indoor pool.

If there are other suggestions as to accomodations, please let me know.

Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor, Acadia National Park
Level Contributor
3,871 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help with hotel in Bar Harbor

About the various names---good question. In the telephone directory, the property is listed under two titles, both with "Regency" in the title but no mention of "Sunspree." They may be trying to reinvent themselves. The shuttle isn't all that difficult to get. It does the Eden Street run every half hour, see: http://www.exploreacadia.com/route2.htm.

Other than the hill up to the Bluenose (think of Bascom Hill), the walk to the village center isn't all that bad---the students from COA do it all the time.

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
6,066 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help with hotel in Bar Harbor

The indoor pool at the Bluenose is beautiful. Really, really nice. And the walk doesn't have to be that bad. There are some old steps right down the front of the property that few people use. One can also cut through the Wonderview and make it to town that way. Also, parking in Bar Harbor isn't really all that bad. It just means you may have to hunt for 10 minutes or so to find a spot. West Street has lots of on-street parking. The hardest time to find a parking spot is really at dinner time.

7. Re: Help with hotel in Bar Harbor

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 May 2012, 05:52