We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Acadia Mountain Guides vs. Atlantic Climbing School

Which Bar Harbor hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York City
Level Contributor
214 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Acadia Mountain Guides vs. Atlantic Climbing School

We'll be vacationing in Acadia the last week of June with our 3 boys - 11, 9, and 3. I'm hoping to surprise the 2 older boys by doing a half-day climbing session at Otter Cliffs. None of us has any experience, but both of these companies get great reviews here on TA. Is anybody familiar with both of them that could tell me how they differ in terms of safety, quality of guides, price, group size, etc. to help me make a decision? Thanks!

Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor, Acadia National Park
Level Contributor
3,853 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Acadia Mountain Guides vs. Atlantic Climbing School

I have no experience with either, but from scanning their web sites it appears to me that Atlantic Climbing may be a better choice.

http://www.climbacadia.com

If you haven't seen Atlantic Mtn. Guides site, it is at:

http://acadiamountainguides.com

New York City
Level Contributor
214 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Acadia Mountain Guides vs. Atlantic Climbing School

Thanks for responding. I had seen their web sites, and I'm just curious, what makes you say that Atlantic seems better? From looking at their web sites I actually came to the opposite conclusion and thought Acadia looked better! :)

Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor, Acadia National Park
Level Contributor
3,853 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Acadia Mountain Guides vs. Atlantic Climbing School

It seemed to me that ACS put a little more emphasis on doing things for inexperienced climbers whereas AMG very definitely is the larger program with a lot of emphasis on training. I don't think that you would go wrong with either.

New York, New York
Level Contributor
218 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Acadia Mountain Guides vs. Atlantic Climbing School

I have only climbed with Acadia Mountain Guides. I went once on a family outing with my daughter. She subsequently has climbed Otter Cliffs and other sites several times with different guides of theirs, including the owner, Jon Tierney. I think her satisfaction having experienced different guides with different styles is important. The review of Acadia Mountain Guides might give you more perspective on the experience:

www.ouracadia.com/outfitters.php?pg_id=3

Maine
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Acadia Mountain Guides vs. Atlantic Climbing School

My wife wanted to climb at Otter cliffs for her 40th birthday, in Acadia national park specifically "Do the chimney". We hired Acadia Mt Guides , the experience was awesome . She has minimal climbing experience and I have some. The guide was knowledgeable, teaching us throughout the session. We left Otter Cliffs having a great time and more knowledgeable about climbing. My wife said it could not have been a better birthday. THEY WERE AWESOME!

Maine
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Acadia Mountain Guides vs. Atlantic Climbing School

You can't judge a book by it's cover and you can't know a company by it's website, know something about the company before you post on here.....

Please see my experience below.

Bedford...
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Acadia Mountain Guides vs. Atlantic Climbing School

I have climbed with Acadia Mountian Guides for the past three years. I have found all the guides to be very genuine and interested in what we wanted to learn or do. They encouraged my kids to belay each other and made it very safe for us all. As for price I compared them three years ago and they were similar. I chose Acadia because the owner is one of the country's leaders in training guides and I figured the standards of the school would be high. They also have a summer camp for kids which led me to think that they like working with kids and families.

Boston...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Acadia Mountain Guides vs. Atlantic Climbing School

I would HIGHLY recommend Atlantic Climbing School! My husband and our 3 young boys all climbed with them and we had an unforgettable experience. The guide was very knowledgable and he was amazing with the kids! He always had a focus on safety and did a great job with explaining how everything worked. It was a great day!

9. Re: Acadia Mountain Guides vs. Atlantic Climbing School

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 June 2012, 05:18
Get answers to your questions about Bar Harbor