We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help Us Choose 3 Places for Dinners?

Newton, MA
Level Contributor
102 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Help Us Choose 3 Places for Dinners?

We will be spending 3 nights at B&B in Bar Harbor (first visit) this summer. For dinners, we are considering the Town Hill Bistro, Burning Tree, Red Sky, Havana, Cafe This Way, maybe even Fish House Grill -- too many choices. We prefer fish (but not shellfish) and enjoy fine dining (but not stuffy places). We would appreciate advice on picking the top 3 from this list. Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Town Hill Bistro
Town Hill Bistro
204 Reviews
Mount Desert Island, ME
Burning Tree
Burning Tree
333 Reviews
Mount Desert Island, ME
Cafe This Way
Cafe This Way
2,327 Reviews
Mount Desert Island, ME
Fish House Grill
Fish House Grill
600 Reviews
Mount Desert Island, ME
Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor, Acadia National Park
Level Contributor
3,907 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help Us Choose 3 Places for Dinners?

Were it me, Town Hill Bistro and Red Sky would be the first two. Burning Tree is totally devoted to fish and is highly regarded; given your stated preferences, this would be a good bet for #3. Cafe This Way has an eclectic menu and Havana, as the name implies, does everything with a Latin touch.

We dined at Red Sky last evening: the house-smoked salmon starter was excellent, as was the wild mushroom soup, and my wife enjoyed the pan-seared sole.

Mentioned in this post
Town Hill Bistro
Town Hill Bistro
204 Reviews
Mount Desert Island, ME
Burning Tree
Burning Tree
333 Reviews
Mount Desert Island, ME
Cafe This Way
Cafe This Way
2,327 Reviews
Mount Desert Island, ME
Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
6,832 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help Us Choose 3 Places for Dinners?

I'd cross off the Fish House Grille. Not fine dining and they get mixed reviews. Red Sky, as you probably know, is not in Bar Harbor. It's about an 18 minute drive from Bar Harbor, in the village of Southwest Harbor, on the other side of Mount Desert Island.

Based on my own experience and on what I hear from others, I'd choose Town Hill Bistro, Burning Tree (about six minutes south of Bar Harbor), and Cafe This Way. You might also check out Fathom. They just opened last night in Bar Harbor. Early reports are promising. They don't have a web page yet but they do have a Facebook page. The pictures of the seafood and stock look quite yummy.

Mentioned in this post
Southwest Harbor
Southwest Harbor
Mount Desert Island, ME
Mount Desert Island
Mount Desert Island
DownEast and Acadia Maine, ME
Town Hill Bistro
Town Hill Bistro
204 Reviews
Mount Desert Island, ME
Burning Tree
Burning Tree
333 Reviews
Mount Desert Island, ME
Cafe This Way
Cafe This Way
2,327 Reviews
Mount Desert Island, ME
Fathom
Fathom
421 Reviews
Mount Desert Island, ME
Newton, MA
Level Contributor
102 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help Us Choose 3 Places for Dinners?

How long approximately is the drive to Town Hill Bistro from Bar Harbor (Mira Monte Inn) ?

Mentioned in this post
Town Hill Bistro
Town Hill Bistro
204 Reviews
Mount Desert Island, ME
Mira Monte Inn
Mira Monte Inn
651 Reviews
Mount Desert Island, ME
Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,907 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help Us Choose 3 Places for Dinners?

Roughly 15 minutes. With reference to the previous post, there really isn't all that much difference in time between drivng from Bar Harbor to Red Sky or to Town Hill Bistro.

Mentioned in this post
Town Hill Bistro
Town Hill Bistro
204 Reviews
Mount Desert Island, ME
Lehigh Valley, PA
Level Contributor
966 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help Us Choose 3 Places for Dinners?

I would second or third or fourth Both Town Hill Bistro and Red Sky. personally, I would pass on Burning Tree but that is based on one experience a couple of years back. The food was just okay and that particular evening, I found the atmosphere very stuffy. But that is me, one experience and a couple of years back. Personally, I like Cafe This Way for both breakfast (especially breakfast) and dinner but it is kind of a funky place and can get loud at times. For what it is worth, those three places are on our dance card again for this year's visit. I also would consider Havana - pricey, fine dining with a Latin flair as mentioned above.

Mentioned in this post
Burning Tree
Burning Tree
333 Reviews
Mount Desert Island, ME
Cafe This Way
Cafe This Way
2,327 Reviews
Mount Desert Island, ME
Lehigh Valley, PA
Level Contributor
966 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help Us Choose 3 Places for Dinners?

I give myself about 15 minutes to drive from Bar Harbor to Town Hill Bistro. That is more than enough.

Mentioned in this post
Town Hill Bistro
Town Hill Bistro
204 Reviews
Mount Desert Island, ME
Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor
Level Contributor
1,495 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help Us Choose 3 Places for Dinners?

I'm just going to confuse you some more and throw Fathom into the mix. It's new this season and located right here downtown Bar Harbor. My husband and I ate there last night and it was fabulous. The food is fine dining but the atmosphere is very relaxed and casual. Even though it was a little chilly, we ate out on the covered porch and it was great.

I'd also vote for Havana and Town Hill Bistro. Mache Bistro is also very good and located right in town.

Mentioned in this post
Fathom
Fathom
421 Reviews
Mount Desert Island, ME
Town Hill Bistro
Town Hill Bistro
204 Reviews
Mount Desert Island, ME
Mache Bistro
Mache Bistro
676 Reviews
Mount Desert Island, ME
new york
Level Contributor
20,753 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help Us Choose 3 Places for Dinners?

Where in town is Fathom? We'll be there in a couple weeks and looking to try some place new.

Mentioned in this post
Fathom
Fathom
421 Reviews
Mount Desert Island, ME
Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,907 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help Us Choose 3 Places for Dinners?

If you are familiar with the village of Bar Harbor, Fathom occupies the building where Maggie's formerly was---on Summer, just off Cottage Street, nearly across from Jordan's and the Hannaford supermarket.

Mentioned in this post
Fathom
Fathom
421 Reviews
Mount Desert Island, ME
new york
Level Contributor
20,753 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help Us Choose 3 Places for Dinners?

Thank you! Looking forward to trying it :)