We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kayak Adventures out of Bar Harbor?

Which Bar Harbor hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
East Coast
Level Contributor
213 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Kayak Adventures out of Bar Harbor?

Will be enjoying MDI in a few weeks and were looking for suggestions for a kayaking outfitter. We'll have grandmas down to a 5th grader, so nothing too rigorous but hopefully something where we can get out on the water and see some nature/scenery to enjoy the beauty of the area from a different perspective.

Thanks!

Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor, Acadia National Park
Level Contributor
3,839 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kayak Adventures out of Bar Harbor?

Of the three most popular outfitters (National Park Kayak, Coastal Kayak, Aquaterra) the best for your mix of people (and stamina) is probably Aquaterra. They are based at the foot of Main and West Streets next to the Town Pier, launch from that location, and remain in the harbor/bay area, exploring around the Porcupine Islands. The other two companies travel to and launch from various locations depending on wind and tidal conditions and I think generally go for longer distances.

www.aquaterra-adventures.com

The other two, in case you want to compare:

www.acadiafun.com (Coastal Kayak)

www.acadiakayak.com (National Park Sea Kayak)

East Coast
Level Contributor
213 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kayak Adventures out of Bar Harbor?

Thank you, one of these should do the trick!

New York, New York
Level Contributor
218 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Kayak Adventures out of Bar Harbor?

We have gone kayaking with Aquaterra and can endorse them! They are not only convenient, but very knowledgeable. We enjoyed getting up close to the Porcupine Islands.

East Coast
Level Contributor
213 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kayak Adventures out of Bar Harbor?

Oh, cool...did you guys see any wildlife on your tour?

Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor
Level Contributor
1,356 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kayak Adventures out of Bar Harbor?

I also love Aquaterra. Their guides are great. You will see less wildlife here in Frenchman Bay. The kayaking is still great and it's so peaceful out around Bar and Sheep Porcupine Islands. For more wildlife, you may want to go with National Park Kayak and do the Western side of the island. It's a longer trip and more travelling than just launching off the pier in Bar Harbor.

For kids, Aquaterra offers a trip where they stop at Bar Island and use underwater scopes to check out the animals on the sea floor. It's based around the low tide and not always available.

Bass Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
123 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kayak Adventures out of Bar Harbor?

Since you didn't say where you are staying, if you are on the west side, I'd recommend Maine State Kayak in Southwest Harbor. I know complete novices that have gone with them and had a great (and safe) time. I'm not sure about the youngest kids they take. You can ask them directly at http://www.mainestatekayak.com/. Their groups kayak on the Western Bay, which is calmer and less trafficked than Frenchman's Bay. On trips I've taken with them I've seen see seals, eagles, and osprey.

For a little less adventure than the ocean, you can try National Park Canoe (and Kayak) rental at the northern edge of Long Pond (also on the west side). Their website is http://www.nationalparkcanoerental.com/.

7. Re: Kayak Adventures out of Bar Harbor?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 01 June 2012, 14:05
8. Re: Kayak Adventures out of Bar Harbor?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 02 June 2012, 03:35
Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor
Level Contributor
1,356 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kayak Adventures out of Bar Harbor?

Carpe Diem is no longer operating.

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
7 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Kayak Adventures out of Bar Harbor?

I didnt know that yet. I wonder why? I am sure I will hear about it. Do you know if they are still going to do the kayak symposium in the fall?

Get answers to your questions about Bar Harbor